PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Transmission and Hit A BIG BUMP!!! =(

BMW4LIFE
03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
So I drained the pan of the e34 and took both pans off (small and the large) as I have the GM tranny.

The small one came off without a problem...I took the gasket off and cleaned it

but when it came to the large pan I had to assist it to come off as it seems the gasket is cooked onto the tranny and not the pan.

I am trying to take the old gasket off but it is coming off in piece and taking me FOREVER to to do.

Is there a better method than a flat head and Scotch sponge to take off the gasket?

I am stuck and in need of help soooo please

HELP!

=)

thanks

bubba966
03-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Gasket scraper, putty knife, razor blade...

BMW4LIFE
03-26-2010, 03:00 AM
why did I have a feeling you would help Bubba?! ;)

Thanks buddy....after a whole 4 hours I finally finished the tranny with a test drive!

couple things I noticed that I thought were rather interesting

a) even though the pelican parts write up says to drain cool tranny oil the hot comes out way faster and efficient

b) Only applies to two pan trannies - I noticed that by using a jack to support the smaller pan while taking off the last screw allowed me to have enough time to be able to support the small pan and lower the jack to decrease the mess

did the reverse for installation

c) Being that there are 1,000,000 screws to take off and put on...I stopped using a ratchet I used the socket with a drill to take off the screws and take them on...saved me a lot of time

d) Buy 2 cans of break clean to make sure you have enough to clean the pans a couple times as once was not enough

e) Run the car through all the gears on the stand (some say dont as it may ruin the balance of your tires, but I get free balancing through Costco so I was like whatever and did it). Run the car for about 30-45 min after filling both pans then fill the pan again

Mine took a whopping 1.75 qrts on top of the cold fill...I was AMAZED!

f) and finally I noticed that after refilling the pan after the tranny is heated....recheck recheck recheck all the bolts...as I noticed that most of mine were on the loose side

I will check them again in a week or so or if I see any spots in the garage tomorrow

Hope this helps people in the future...

Oh and BTW

I was one of the people who was skeptical on changing the tranny oil due to the fact of some of the horror stories I have read online

well let me tell me that dramatic change in the gear change and smoothness after the change...granted I did not redline the car...and will not for the next 1000 miles or so (as advised by Ross I believe) but around town it seemed like a dramatic change

SO CHANGE THE TRANNY OIL IF YOU HAVEN'T :D

Ross
03-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Glad to see you didn't listen to the chicken littles out there that forecast doom for anyone that changes tranny oil.
Don't think it was me that said anything about not redlining for a thousand miles. Beat the daylights out of if if you want.

BMW4LIFE
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Glad to see you didn't listen to the chicken littles out there that forecast doom for anyone that changes tranny oil.
Don't think it was me that said anything about not redlining for a thousand miles. Beat the daylights out of if if you want.

hahaha!!!

Sorry for some reason your name popped into my head when I thought of my tranny for some reason...

I do have a question for you guys though

When the car changes gears (shift) I can hear a "CLUNK CLINK" sound...are those the tranny mounts or is there something inside the tranny thats messed up?

BMW4LIFE
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Found the post...

It was Regal not Ross :D

just change the gasket and filter and use the M1 fluid. Your not going to drain it for days so you should only need about 4-4.5 quarts to make up for what drained. Dont autocross the car for a thousand miles and youll be fine. The problems start when people flush the whole thing and the clutches de-laminate and they drive hard...

Just change out whats needed for the filter change and move on with life, no big deal.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42459&page=3

632 Regal
03-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Found the post...

It was Regal not Ross :D

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42459&page=3

I always try to err on the better safe than sorry philosophy ;)