PDA

View Full Version : Calling all UK Bimmernuts...

genphreak
03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Need to get some parts from the UK. Need to get a lot; am after 5 and 6 speed manuals to suit X5, e32, e34, e38, e39, ie engines like M30s, M62s, M72s, S52s, S38s. Can anyone suggest some good suppliers? Cheers, Nick

bubba966
03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Try FAB yet?

http://www.fabdirect.com/

whiskychaser
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I imagine the same applies in the US but I will say it anyway. Once you have parted with your cash you will have no chance of redress with a UK breakers yard. Most breakers dont know what a pallet is let alone pack something for international transport. I wouldnt put it past them to send you a crate of bricks. That said, I can give you some links where you input the car's details and EXACT description of what you want. Its sent round to every breaker's yard in that 'club'. They email you their prices individually and dont know what the competion quoted. I can also post your enquiry on a UK BMW forum but it may be better if it came from me or people might be tempted to take the p..s. I think this could work really well and would be happy to help. And no I wouldnt charge! Well not unless you want me to travel 200 miles to look at a dust cap:D

genphreak
03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
I imagine the same applies in the US but I will say it anyway. Once you have parted with your cash you will have no chance of redress with a UK breakers yard. Most breakers dont know what a pallet is let alone pack something for international transport. I wouldnt put it past them to send you a crate of bricks. That said, I can give you some links where you input the car's details and EXACT description of what you want. Its sent round to every breaker's yard in that 'club'. They email you their prices individually and dont know what the competion quoted. I can also post your enquiry on a UK BMW forum but it may be better if it came from me or people might be tempted to take the p..s. I think this could work really well and would be happy to help. And no I wouldnt charge! Well not unless you want me to travel 200 miles to look at a dust cap:DThanks Whisky, that is exactly what I was looking for, I knew someone would be 'in the know'. If you can drop me a few links that 'd be terrific. We're pretty keen, I've a brother in London so he may be able to help somehow or other too. Best to have professionals on the task tho, he's only a Land Rover guy... :p

genphreak
03-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Try FAB yet?

http://www.fabdirect.com/... Just now :) Thanks Bubba966! They've a nice site, a bit pricey tho. Cheers!

leicesterboy15
04-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Sometimes the best way to go is to buy failed test cars and strip them, I've found that quite often they usually fail due to bodywork (rust) in the case of e34s and e32s any way and the mechanicals are usually sweet, and with no test cert the car becomes a burden (storage and trailering) so they let it go very cheaply. In this case the whole is worth less than the sum of it's parts. You also get the added benefit of seeing the engines running before buying.

You just need someone over here who can strip the parts and ship them across. I could help but I am not in the business and I don't have any premises to do the stripping just the enthusiasm :)

whiskychaser
04-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I've a brother in London so he may be able to help somehow or other too. Best to have professionals on the task tho, he's only a Land Rover guy... :p
If you have got family in the UK thats great! He is ideally placed to find out what prices are here compared to at home. PM me and I will give you my mobile for your brother. And if he ventures north of those southern nancy boys he will be welcome:-)

genphreak
04-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Sometimes the best way to go is to buy failed test cars and strip them, I've found that quite often they usually fail due to bodywork (rust) in the case of e34s and e32s any way and the mechanicals are usually sweet, and with no test cert the car becomes a burden (storage and trailering) so they let it go very cheaply. In this case the whole is worth less than the sum of it's parts. You also get the added benefit of seeing the engines running before buying.

You just need someone over here who can strip the parts and ship them across. I could help but I am not in the business and I don't have any premises to do the stripping just the enthusiasm :)This is our preferred method LB, front cuts and drivetrains only would be ideal. If you see anything good let me know. The thing to do would be to arrange a place to strip and a time to do it, ie get a rented industrial unit someplace, trailer 'em in and part them out into a container. Sould take about day to do each car once we're into it. Hmmm. I'll let you know if we can get a plan together ;)

whiskychaser
04-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Couple of links if you are still interested:

http://www.quarrymotors.co.uk/usedparts.html
http://www.247spares.co.uk/bmw
http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/sitemap/bmw-breakers.html

First one is quite a well known BMW breakers in Sheffield. The other two you input the details of wht you want and its sent round to a whole load of different breakers.

genphreak
04-04-2010, 05:35 AM
ooogling now... thanks Whisky... (OMG, so many niceties.)