PDA

View Full Version : bump stop or not to bump stop

Kibokojoe
03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
3 years ago when I installed my new Bilstein struts I was told not to install a bump stop (9) or the spacer (3) now giving that the strut mount is broken I wonder if that was bad advice? Would including these two parts, saved my strut mount?
http://www.exx.se/maintenance/front_damper_spring/explodedview.gif

bubba966
03-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Don't need the bump stop as the billys have internal bump stops. But that spacer should've been in there. That spreads the load out over the strut mount to prevent the shaft from punching up through the mount.

When you posted pics of your mount I'd wondered if you'd left part of the assembly out. Guess you had. I've seen pics of rear strut mounts that someone had forgotten that piece in the rear and it did the same thing. Punched the shaft up through the middle of the mount in a rather short time. Now I've seen pics of it on the front mounts as well.

Who told you not to run that spacer in the assembly? I've never heard anyone say that.

632 Regal
03-25-2010, 01:33 AM
without the spacer I don't think it's possible to tighten the strut shaft all the way, you would have heard at least some noise. Internal stops yes, they do disintegrate at least in my experience. Stock bumpstops wont fit as that billy has a much thicker center shaft.

Edit: 3 years! wow, do you drive the thing?

Ferret
03-25-2010, 04:02 AM
Don't need the bump stop as the billys have internal bump stops. But that spacer should've been in there. That spreads the load out over the strut mount to prevent the shaft from punching up through the mount.

When you posted pics of your mount I'd wondered if you'd left part of the assembly out. Guess you had. I've seen pics of rear strut mounts that someone had forgotten that piece in the rear and it did the same thing. Punched the shaft up through the middle of the mount in a rather short time. Now I've seen pics of it on the front mounts as well.

Who told you not to run that spacer in the assembly? I've never heard anyone say that.

Yeah, that was on my 540:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car_Old/DSC00099.jpg

I dont think it was the PO that did it, but whoever fitted the newest set of rear shocks didnt put part number 3 back on the left side.

Punched right through the mount while I was towing another E34 in distress home!

Kibokojoe
03-25-2010, 07:22 AM
When I get over this surgery I will be taking her apart and snapping some photos/

Tiger
03-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Front Bilstein Sport does not need the bumpstop or even #10. Bilstein already provided all that. You still need #3 as it has a conical mount on the bottom where the new strut shaft mounts to it.

Rear Bilstein Sport needs #10 and #3 along with shortened bumpstop. You cut off about 2".

Bilstein Sport and HD is two different thing. Which one do you have?

repenttokyo
03-25-2010, 09:43 AM
don't use the bumpstops. stock bumpstops WILL fit, but the ride will be ass. I tried it, then removed them.

In the rear, I didn't shorten - I completely removed them. it's been two years with no issues, and the ride is great.

bubba966
03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that was on my 540:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car_Old/DSC00099.jpg

I dont think it was the PO that did it, but whoever fitted the newest set of rear shocks didnt put part number 3 back on the left side.

Punched right through the mount while I was towing another E34 in distress home!

While I do recall this happening to you now, you're not who I was actually thinking of when I mentioned seeing it happen to the rear mounts. I think it was E34.535.Sport that I was thinking of. He'd replaced his rear mounts and forgot one or both of the spacers and punched his up through the mount in short order.

3 years! wow, do you drive the thing?

I'm quite surprised that it took 3 years to break 'em. And they're just started it looks like. At least he caught it before it did a number on his hood.

Kibokojoe
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Hd

bubba966
03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Hd

?

Tiger
03-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Ahh... so you have the HD instead of sport.

For front, it is still the same. Bilstein provided you the strut boot so you just need that conical spacer.

For the rear, you will need your factory boot, bump stop and spacer... You wouldn't need to trim the bumpstop but you can trim it 1" if you like.

Kibokojoe
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Tiger asked if I had HD or sport Bilsteins

Kibokojoe
03-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Finally figured out I purchased the bilstein struts and mounts from Bavauto in 2008. Just over a year old and they failed. Wow talk about crappy parts. Its getting more and more difficult to find good replacement parts

Tiger
03-25-2010, 10:52 PM
That's way too soon... they are lifetime warranty so you can send them in for repair or replacement. I have installed three sets of Bilsteins on three different cars... none of them failed.

Kibokojoe
03-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Its the strut mounts that have failed. Bavauto says they are out of warranty

Kibokojoe
03-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Here is my latest reply with Bavauto. Looks like the mount is a Meyle. I had a Meyle strut stablizer fail last year. I am done with Meyle parts. Perhaps this is why they only offer a 1 year warranty. I asked Ken at Bavauto if the mount I purchased in late 2008 was a Meyle. Still waiting for a response. Bet ya anything its a Meyle.

"Ken @ Bavauto
Its a Meyle strut mount isn't it :). People have been having problems with Meyle components on the bimmernut site. I had a Meyle strut stabilzer fail prematurely last year. I am done with Meyle parts. I am hearing that Sach or Lemforder is the way to go. Or perhaps MOOG which is not as good but they have a limited life time warrenty. So if you don't mind changing out upper struts every other year I guess this is the way to go. I understand the the bimmer front ends are very heavy and are know to stress front end components but this is ridiculous. Perhaps this is why Meyle only offers a 1 year warranty on their components.

Sincerely

Ken French"

Tiger
03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Alot of us warned everyone not to buy Meyle strut mounts long ago... all the way back to 2001. The only one worth buying is BMW OE... which is Boge.