PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid

Mike M
06-12-2004, 02:25 PM
i was just wondering what power steering fluid is recommended for the e34?

also, how would one go about replacing/flushing it? tia

Mike M
06-12-2004, 04:29 PM

just FYI...i have a '91 525

philbyil
06-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Mike,
It will have the required fluid on the cap of the PS reservoir.
It will use either ATF or Pentosin (liquid gold!)...If yours uses ATF, I would suggest you buy two quarts of Mobil1 Synthetic ATF and do the baster drain and refill technique to replace your old ATF with synthetic.

Phil C.
95 525i 5spd. Shark in sheeps clothing

WarrenBrown
06-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Another thing to consider, the reservoir has a filter, on the plastic reservoir it is not replaceable, the whole unit it replaced. The metal ones have a replaceable filter. We had a 92 525i that started to groan from cavitation at about 150K in cool weather. I didn't know about the filter in the plastic reservoir so I flushed it with solvent and replaced the fluid with new, worked great till we sold the car.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT

Russell
06-13-2004, 01:10 PM
On a 525i you can use automatic transmission fluid (atf). I replaced mine with mobil 1 atf at about 88,000 as I was sure it had never been replaced.

You can use a suction device (I used a turkey baster-get something easier/better) to remove the fluid in the plastic reservoir, refill, start and turn right/left a few times, then repeat the empty/fill process until the fluid looks clean enough to suit you. I used about 3 quarts of atf.

I had no problems, just preventive measures as this was the last of the fluids to be changed in the car after I purchased it last year.