PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can Anyone Help Me Out On A Car That My Father Is Interested In?

BMW4LIFE
03-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Just like the title says...

My dad called me today and said that he found a great deal on a 2004 Benz E320 with 64K for $15K.

A couple things that I don't care for...Blue Sky color outside and Tan inside ( I feel as though it makes the car look cheap)

Another is that the lady has owned it for only 1 year

Another is that it was initially a Lease =/

And I have not seen the car yet but from what i hear it really does not have any options

Now that you know a little on the car...does anyone know anything about these cars or know someone that has owned one?

I know they were in business with Chrysler (cough CRAP cough) so I am worried about the reliability and quality of the car...any feedback on that?

Anything would help...Thanks in advance!:)

ss2115
03-16-2010, 04:05 PM
I had a late 2003 C200K Merc wagon (Estate) for four years bought from new that was a brilliant car. If I were to complain about anything at all it was that the automatic was too soft and slushy. In every other respect, a great car. Stayed as tight as new throughout its whole life, and I took a 45% residual on the lease (you call it a balloon payment I think) and I still sold it privately for $5,500 more. Being a wagon helped that though - the sedans are more common and not quite as high resale value here in Australia.

Additionally, I drove a E320 wagon for a couple of weeks in Germany whilst at a trade show, and then up through Holland, across the channel and a little bit around the middle of England. It was about a 2003 or 2004 as well and a great drive. Belonged to a business friend and we shared the driving.

In both cars I was able to sit in the seats much longer without squirming or getting a sore back on long drives of several hours and being an ex-mechanic I have a poor back from many years of leaning over bonnets and shimming under cars.

Never had a single warranty problem.

It used to be said that mercs do things so well that you don't know they're doing it. I'm a fan of that.

The only reason I didn't get another one was that we decided to add a second story to the house and so I purchased a cheap RAV4 instead, which I later gave to my son and bought the 1994 525i Touring I have now (which was also at a too-good-to-refuse price).

best regards.

Just like the title says...

My dad called me today and said that he found a great deal on a 2004 Benz E320 with 64K for $15K.

A couple things that I don't care for...Blue Sky color outside and Tan inside ( I feel as though it makes the car look cheap)

Another is that the lady has owned it for only 1 year

Another is that it was initially a Lease =/

And I have not seen the car yet but from what i hear it really does not have any options

Now that you know a little on the car...does anyone know anything about these cars or know someone that has owned one?

I know they were in business with Chrysler (cough CRAP cough) so I am worried about the reliability and quality of the car...any feedback on that?

Anything would help...Thanks in advance!:)

mikey535im
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
5 years ago I talked my parents into buying an E420. They traded the car in 2 months later due to the harsh, performance like shift of the auto trans and suspension.....I on the other hand loved the car. I've learned to stay out of my parents car dealings. They ended up with a caddy and are very happy.

M!ke

BMW4LIFE
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
5 years ago I talked my parents into buying an E420. They traded the car in 2 months later due to the harsh, performance like shift of the auto trans and suspension.....I on the other hand loved the car. I've learned to stay out of my parents car dealings. They ended up with a caddy and are very happy.

M!ke

I see what your saying...

My dad is a Benz fanatic but I am recommending a Lexus LS or the RX to them becuase I feel as though the head that a German car can brew the Lexus can avoid...

Not saying that Lexus is bullet proof (stuck accelerator and all) but being a Japanese car I feel as though the reliability is greater than the Benz

But then again I don't want to talk them into something they don't like

I have read some reviews on the E320 and it seems as though people love them...but its those dreaded stories that come in spurts that scare me

ss2115
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Not knocking the Lexus, but the Benz has more prestige but also a better quality finish and better put together. German engineering in general is legendary. Just shutting the doors and looking at the seams shows a lot. But that all said, I don't know where the Benz's for the USA come from. If its a USA based assembly plant, I'm sorry to say that it might not be as good as a German assembled car or South African assembled car.
I'd go a used Benz before a used Lexus.
I might even go a low mileage Benz over a new Lexus.
If both new, then its very much subjective as to what the buyer wants from the car I would think.

I see what your saying...

My dad is a Benz fanatic but I am recommending a Lexus LS or the RX to them becuase I feel as though the head that a German car can brew the Lexus can avoid...

Not saying that Lexus is bullet proof (stuck accelerator and all) but being a Japanese car I feel as though the reliability is greater than the Benz

But then again I don't want to talk them into something they don't like

I have read some reviews on the E320 and it seems as though people love them...but its those dreaded stories that come in spurts that scare me

bubba966
03-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Having driven an LS Sport and an RX (as well as an ES, LX, and IS) blah is what comes to mind. The LS Sport was the least blah, but I rarely ever see the sport version around. And it's still blah. The LX is like driving a full size truck. Very not impressed by the ride on that one. But the Levinson system in the LX was most definitely the best sounding factory system I've ever heard. Still wouldn't buy a Lexus just on that alone though...

BMW4LIFE
03-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Having driven an LS Sport and an RX (as well as an ES, LX, and IS) blah is what comes to mind. The LS Sport was the least blah, but I rarely ever see the sport version around. And it's still blah. The LX is like driving a full size truck. Very not impressed by the ride on that one. But the Levinson system in the LX was most definitely the best sounding factory system I've ever heard. Still wouldn't buy a Lexus just on that alone though...

I know how you feel bubba...I dislike Lexus as well but the fact of the matter is that my parents are kinda blah

- drive 5mph over speed limit
- light acceleration
- have grand kinds to move around

My only concern is that if something breaks on the benz its going to cost a fortune compared to the lex ( and how often they break down too)

then again I could be wrong

bubba966
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
You should see what it costs to get anything done to a Lexus...

Bill R.
03-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I work on both, mercedes and lexus. No question the lexus is cheaper to own and more reliable. I would not buy an rx300 but the rx350 is fine. The transmission is the weak link on the older rx300, the problem was fixed on the rx330 but the fix affected driveability. They got it right on the rx350 though. The hybrid rx400h's are pretty nice too.
But when you do have to replace parts on a lexus its as expensive as the mercedes, you'll just not have to do it as much.

I know how you feel bubba...I dislike Lexus as well but the fact of the matter is that my parents are kinda blah

- drive 5mph over speed limit
- light acceleration
- have grand kinds to move around

My only concern is that if something breaks on the benz its going to cost a fortune compared to the lex ( and how often they break down too)

then again I could be wrong

BMW4LIFE
03-17-2010, 01:00 AM
I work on both, mercedes and lexus. No question the lexus is cheaper to own and more reliable. I would not buy an rx300 but the rx350 is fine. The transmission is the weak link on the older rx300, the problem was fixed on the rx330 but the fix affected driveability. They got it right on the rx350 though. The hybrid rx400h's are pretty nice too.
But when you do have to replace parts on a lexus its as expensive as the mercedes, you'll just not have to do it as much.

Hey Bill I appreciate the feedback...

My mom likes the newer RX350 as on our street 5 families own them so they have really began to grow on her...its my dad who is all about Mercs...Don't blame the man as they are nice cars but I don't want him to have to deal with headache after headache.

Might I ask what the weak points are on the merc? I hear that the E-Class are one of the best Mercs made... True?

repenttokyo
03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Not knocking the Lexus, but the Benz has more prestige but also a better quality finish and better put together. German engineering in general is legendary. Just shutting the doors and looking at the seams shows a lot. But that all said, I don't know where the Benz's for the USA come from. If its a USA based assembly plant, I'm sorry to say that it might not be as good as a German assembled car or South African assembled car.
I'd go a used Benz before a used Lexus.
I might even go a low mileage Benz over a new Lexus.
If both new, then its very much subjective as to what the buyer wants from the car I would think.

there's no question that the reliability and build quality of a Lexus are much much higher than that of a Mercedes, particularly a Mercedes from the early to mid 2000's when they were in the middle of their poor quality nose dive.