PDA

View Full Version : Removing vanos solenoid switch?

Russell
03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Can you remove the vanos solenoid switch without removing the intake manifold on a 95 M50 engine?

I get conflicting information on my seaches and Bentley.

BennyM
03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I would like to know this as well. Though it seems like you'd be more likely to have to remove the oil filter canister than the intake.

Can you remove the vanos solenoid switch without removing the intake manifold on a 95 M50 engine?

yaofeng
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM

I don't quite understand your question. If you unplug the connector, is it not the same as removing it? The VANOS solenoid is part of the VANOS unit.

Russell
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't quite understand your question. If you unplug the connector, is it not the same as removing it? The VANOS solenoid is part of the VANOS unit.
I want to physically remove it from the car, not disconnect it. I may want to replace it.

yaofeng
03-12-2010, 02:18 AM
I want to physically remove it from the car, not disconnect it. I may want to replace it.

1. Remove the valve cover.
2. Set No. 1 piston to TDC. Use the flex damper to line it up. The intake and exhaust cam lobes at No. 1 piston should face each other at 10 o'clock (intake) and 2 o'clock (exhaust) orientations.
3. Remove all nuts on the VANOS unit and disconnect the wiring connector.
4. Rotate the crankshaft up to 10 degrees (approximate) in either direction while pulling the VANOS unit to disengage it from the cam sprocket and pull out.

No. 4 is key. If you don't rotate the crankshaft, it is almost impossible to dislodge the VANOS.

Russell
03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
1. Remove the valve cover.
2. Set No. 1 piston to TDC. Use the flex damper to line it up. The intake and exhaust cam lobes at No. 1 piston should face each other at 10 o'clock (intake) and 2 o'clock (exhaust) orientations.
3. Remove all nuts on the VANOS unit and disconnect the wiring connector.
4. Rotate the crankshaft up to 10 degrees (approximate) in either direction while pulling the VANOS unit to disengage it from the cam sprocket and pull out.

No. 4 is key. If you don't rotate the crankshaft, it is almost impossible to dislodge the VANOS.

All this to remove the solenoid? It looks as if the solenoid just unscews from the Vanos unit. I do not want to remove the entire vanos unit.

yaofeng
03-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Don't know. Never done it before. Hope someone else can help you.