PDA

View Full Version : riddle me this Batman

Kibokojoe
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
When is lightly step on the brake at about 50 to 60 mph I get a slight wobble from the front end. But if I lightly step on the brake again for a total of two or three times the wobble goes away. Most of the time the wobble goes away on the third time and occasionally on the second.

Ross
03-06-2010, 09:17 AM
If you feel it in the brake pedal look to the rotors and stuck calipers. If only in the steering wheel look to tires or suspension, start by rotating tires.

Kibokojoe
03-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Ok I will rotate tires first. Rebuilt the calipers a couple of months ago. Any yes they had stuck, wonder if the rotor is warped now?

ss2115
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok I will rotate tires first. Rebuilt the calipers a couple of months ago. Any yes they had stuck, wonder if the rotor is warped now?

Yes - machine or replace the rotors and it will go away.

BMW4LIFE
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes - machine or replace the rotors and it will go away.

I disagree on the machine rotors part but highly agree with replacing them!;)

Machining is a waste of money and you are further more prone to warping your rotors because now they are thinner than before...

I would get some ATE power slotted rotors and jurix or textar pads (i think i spelled them wrong) I love them! =)

ss2115
03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
If the rotors are in good condition otherwise and havn't been machined previously, then the minor warpage he's experiencing would only take a very light skim.
Under all other circumstances I would be replacing the rotors as well - especially on BMW's or Mercedes.

BMW4LIFE
03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
If the rotors are in good condition otherwise and havn't been machined previously, then the minor warpage he's experiencing would only take a very light skim.
Under all other circumstances I would be replacing the rotors as well - especially on BMW's or Mercedes.

I totally agree with you that it would take a "light skim" but unless he can get it machined for FREE its not worth it top spend $50-$70 to get them machined when you can get now ones for a little more...

Couple things I will NEVER go cheap on are tires and Brakes...can't count the number of time where they have saved my life (both in the BMW and the RC51)

my 2 cents

ss2115
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I totally agree with you that it would take a "light skim" but unless he can get it machined for FREE its not worth it top spend $50-$70 to get them machined when you can get now ones for a little more...

Couple things I will NEVER go cheap on are tires and Brakes...can't count the number of time where they have saved my life (both in the BMW and the RC51)

my 2 cents

Rotors (like most things) must be a lot cheaper in the USA than they are here in Australia. We can get aftermarket rotors for around Au$180 but a good quality set or OEM can run up to $400.
ie: machining is usually around 1/3rd the cost or better.

But I agree - I'm a person who will normally go new but thats just me. Everyone has a different income and everyone has a different view on life, recycling, replacing etc.

bsell
03-07-2010, 02:56 AM
We don't know the last time the front bushings have been replaced, do we?

Couldn't a little runout in the rotors get the worn front bushes 'singing' a little due to thier softness? Once he taps the brakes a couple times, the bushes get 'set' in the rear position and behave...

Kibokojoe
03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Thought of putting a bushing set in the calipers also. I assume they are available.

Scott C
03-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Thought of putting a bushing set in the calipers also. I assume they are available.

For what it is worth - I had an issue that drove me nuts - it was a 55mph wobble/vibration in the steering wheel that was intermittent. Short story is that the caliper piston (not the sliders) was not fully retracting - varnish I assume. This problem caused me to go through 3 sets of control arms in 9 years....

Scott

ArnZ!
03-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Here in Australia i can get my rotors machined for $15 a disc. Now of coarse this is okay if your discs still have plenty of meat on them, if not then obviously go with new rotors, I recently picked up some RDA discs for $150 for the pair upfront, no problems what so ever.

I agree with the above comment, if you do feel a shimmy on the brake pedal then its most likely a brake related problem.

They say warped rotors is 99% myth, try re-bedding the pads as apparently its just pad material left on the rotor is thicker in some places which gives you the illusion of warped rotors. Just try re-bedding them and see how you go.