PDA

View Full Version : M50 ICV access - can it be made easier?

E34-520iSE
03-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi Guys,

Later this year I'll be replacing my M20B20 with an M50B25 power unit, and from past experiences I know how hard the M50 idle control valve is to R&R.
What is to stop me from moving the ICV position from under the inlet to somewhere more accessible? Would it be a simple case of fitting longer tubes and extending the cables to the three pin plug? Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Shaun M

Ross
03-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Sure, but why? How often do you expect to be servicing it?
They are a bitch though

repenttokyo
03-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Sure, but why? How often do you expect to be servicing it?
They are a bitch though

i need to clean mine this week, and I am trying to find a DIY on removing the intake manifold to make it easier to get to the valve. Anyone know where I can find one?

E34-520iSE
03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I just fancy relocating mine to eliminate the blood, sweat, tears and profanity that will result if I have to strip down a recently installed engine to clean out a stupid gummed-up valve. I'm not a fan of doing a job twice if I can avoid it!

Regards,

Shaun M

whiskychaser
03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
i need to clean mine this week, and I am trying to find a DIY on removing the intake manifold to make it easier to get to the valve. Anyone know where I can find one?
Is 15 minutes too slow?

repenttokyo
03-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Is 15 minutes too slow?

i'm worried my hands won't fit - it's been a problem before. i scoped it out today and plan on making my first attempt tomorrow - picked up some carb cleaner today.

do you think removing the throttle body will make it easier?

whiskychaser
03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
i'm worried my hands won't fit - it's been a problem before. i scoped it out today and plan on making my first attempt tomorrow - picked up some carb cleaner today.

do you think removing the throttle body will make it easier?
I dont see any way to get at it without removing the throttle body and inlet manifold. IIRC its held in with a stupid plastic clip which you could easily break even if you can see it