PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go? Should I sell my 540i?

leicesterboy15
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I've got around £1000 of expense on my car at the moment, doesn't sound massive for you guys state side but here the car is realistically worth about £1200 - £1500 once all the bits are done. Its mainly bad timing really that everything has come together but I'm wondering whether I should sell or keep it. I need the following:

Valve Cover Gaskets.
Inspection Service
4 tyres
Steering arms and bushes
Front suspension arms and bushes (again - not fitted properly be previous garage)
Possibly rear bushes
MOT (annual road test)

I've only got about £2000 to spend on a car at the moment but I'm contemplating an e38 740i, e39 540i touring, Jag XJR or Audi A6 (although hard pushed to get the new shape for 2k).

What I really want is an e34 540i 6 speed Manual Touring which is in my price range (I could raise £2 - 300 more) but I can't finder any of the blighters for sale.

I really don't want to sell my car and I have most of the suspension and steering parts to do the job, just no time or balls to do it, plus its cold and I quite like my knuckles.

I could take it to a garage tomorrow and get all the work done and be happy for another year at least but someone at work has planted the seed that I could get something new. Apart from the bits needed (which are all wear and tear) the car is great.

I need new tyres because the front ones are worn on the inside after just 12 months - connected to the suspension problem no doubt and I've just had a blow out on the rear because it was rubbing which is another thing that needs sorting, I'm not sure if it affects both sides or just one and if this can be cured with new bushes / suspension parts or if I should get 225 tyres instead of 235's if they will fit.

I would rather wait and find an e34 6 speed touring but I'm wondering if there is something else out there to be enjoyed in the short term. Also I know what ever I buy might also need work for £2000, I can't afford to spend any more right now as I've just finished an extension and it has bled me dry at least for the next 6 months.

Any opinions appreciated!

RX7guy
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I've only got about £2000 to spend on a car at the moment but I'm contemplating an e38 740i, e39 540i touring, Jag XJR or Audi A6 (although hard pushed to get the new shape for 2k).

So let me get this straight... You're thinking of selling your car because it needs maintenance, but you want to buy a car that is equally high-maintenance if not more?

Tiger
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
It is only 1 or 2 more months before it is warm enough to do alot of things.

whiskychaser
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
You already have the parts. Fix it up and see how you feel when its done. If you still want a change at least you will get a decent price. I just put new CV boots on her Hyundai Coupe and got it through the MOT. Froze my bits off. It also needed a small weld (Dont get me going about Korean steel!!)
But she isnt driving my car any more. All you need is the right motivation:D

Paul in NZ
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
i agree with the others.you know where you are with this car and any of you r "new" candidates could need the exact same things doing.

Mordan
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
lol a 540i Touring 6 speed? and you are short on money! you do see life on the bright side :)

shifty1979
03-07-2010, 06:35 AM
If you spend only 2K on e38 740i, e39 540i touring, Jag XJR it's highly likely that you are getting a replacement vehicle, well over 10 years old with average to high mileage. e.g....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201008353469339/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/2000/engine-size-cars/4l_to_4-9l/model/7_series/make/bmw/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/dl79ua?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fused%2Fcars%2Fbmw%2F7_ series%2Fpostcode%2Fdl79ua%2Fradius%2F1501%2Fprice-from%2F2000%2Fengine-size-cars%2F4l_to_4-9l%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc&logcode=p

Nice car, but there are going to be equally high associated running costs, if not now, then in another 12 months. It's just the nature of the beast with luxury, high performance cars of this age. If you know or suspect something else is on the horizon for replacement next year, which is going to cost say another £500 - £1000 then IMO it would be worth your while chopping your current motor in.

Personally, I would try save up and spend 7-8 k and get yourself something a bit newer, lower mileage, better specification, with more up to date toys and gadgets inside. Even then, a luxury BMW is going start costing you in repairs and maintenance in another 2-3 years.

Ross
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Can you replace it for the same investment?
What you have is at least known, a change is always a gamble.
Can you reasonably expect good service from your 540 once the current list is addressed? Sometimes you have to cut and run, better to do so before anymore investment.
Too bad we are an ocean apart. I'd be all over a 540it for what you say she'll bring there.

leicesterboy15
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
lol a 540i Touring 6 speed? and you are short on money! you do see life on the bright side :)

Well I am an optimist! I saw a few touring 6 speeds for sale before Christmas and they didn't seem to be selling but it was not a good time for me to be buying a car so I didn't pursue them. They were going for £1500 - £2500.

I've been looking around and the price of used cars seem to have increased slightly over the last couple of months, they are still unbelievable value in my eyes but they do seem to have gone up.

If you spend only 2K on e38 740i, e39 540i touring, Jag XJR it's highly likely that you are getting a replacement vehicle, well over 10 years old with average to high mileage. e.g....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201008353469339/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/2000/engine-size-cars/4l_to_4-9l/model/7_series/make/bmw/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/dl79ua?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fused%2Fcars%2Fbmw%2F7_ series%2Fpostcode%2Fdl79ua%2Fradius%2F1501%2Fprice-from%2F2000%2Fengine-size-cars%2F4l_to_4-9l%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc&logcode=p

Nice car, but there are going to be equally high associated running costs, if not now, then in another 12 months. It's just the nature of the beast with luxury, high performance cars of this age. If you know or suspect something else is on the horizon for replacement next year, which is going to cost say another £500 - £1000 then IMO it would be worth your while chopping your current motor in.

Personally, I would try save up and spend 7-8 k and get yourself something a bit newer, lower mileage, better specification, with more up to date toys and gadgets inside. Even then, a luxury BMW is going start costing you in repairs and maintenance in another 2-3 years.

I agree that I would probably be buying into the same position with around £2k but that 740 proves it can be done (if its genuine), it almost seems rude not to have a look at least. I'm not bothered about the running costs as such but you have to at least consider all the options open to you. I don't think these cars are too bad for running costs really, my friend has just had his suspension rebuilt on his 2002 RS6 which cost him £2000, a new gearbox is £8000 apparently, now these are numbers to be scared of!

Can you replace it for the same investment?
What you have is at least known, a change is always a gamble.
Can you reasonably expect good service from your 540 once the current list is addressed? Sometimes you have to cut and run, better to do so before anymore investment.
Too bad we are an ocean apart. I'd be all over a 540it for what you say she'll bring there.

Thanks! It would be worth a lot more on your side of the pond. Other than age related things there's nothing else that had signs of failing so I think it would be fine for at least another year after this. Its not a lemon and hasn't cost me much in the last year, its just bad timing that all these things have come at once.
I'd like to sell my CLK, use the e34 as my second car and buy something newer for my daily driver but my wife thinks the e34 is ugly( yes, I did consider divorce for a minute) so she would never swap it for her clk which only does about 2000 miles a year. I wouldn't be able to buy a new car alongside my e34 (and fix it myself over time) as I can barely justify having 2 cars never mind 3!

At the moment I'm thinking better the devil you know plus I really do love my e34, I just wish I could get to a point where it needed nothing, oh and I could shoot the OBC and it's dongs of doom.

bubba966
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
my wife thinks the e34 is ugly

Come on now. Really?

Any women that've had an opinion on my car have been quite fond of it. Granted an M-Sport is a touch bit different in appearance to a regular E34. Friend of mine that's got a '95 525iT is fond of E34's. She's been borrowing my M-Sport for the last month or so as her touring is off the road (guessing it's fuel pump related). She loves my M-Sport. And she keeps telling me how she keeps getting comments on how nice & impressive it looks. And those are mostly from other women she runs into on a daily basis.

Bo525i
03-08-2010, 03:32 AM
I´d stay

And tell your wife that they just don´t make cars like this anymore.. Even if her girly friends think its too old ! ;) :D

leicesterboy15
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Well I took it to get it tested and I can add rear sub frame bushes to the list. He says they need a special tool to do that but I've read many posts about doing this at home and while its a horrible job you can do it. I think I will leave it to them for now but I'm still waiting for price, anyone know how many hours the book says for this job?

The bigger problem is that I can't get hold of any Powerflex bushes, the best I have been quoted is 'minimum 10 days', some say 28 days!
Anyone got any tips or alternative brands to Powerflex?

The guy says my tire has been eaten because of these bushes and its not because of rubbing (which I thought it was). The pic below shows the tyre that blew on me the other day...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_8061.jpg

and this one shows what happend to the tyre that it replaced a year ago (although it was on the other side)...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_2919.jpg

makes me wonder how long my bushes have been bad and why no other garage picked up on it.

On top of that it needs the 2 upper arms and 1 lower arm (ball joint) but I will replace both.

Other than that he says the underneath is good! I replaced the wheels with the Style 5's I had in the shed....

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/My%20Stuff/IMG_8063.jpg

The car rides so much better on 17's than 18's

whiskychaser
03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Which subframe bushes does he reckon did that to your tyres? You can do part 2 here yourself in an hour a side:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=33_0219&hg=33&fg=30
Special tools:
A big hammer, a jig saw, mole grips, a fridge, fairy liquid.

leicesterboy15
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Which subframe bushes does he reckon did that to your tyres? You can do part 2 here yourself in an hour a side:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=33_0219&hg=33&fg=30
Special tools:
A big hammer, a jig saw, mole grips, a fridge, fairy liquid.

A fridge? Should I even ask why? The amber nectar required to forget a job like this perhaps?

An hour each side? Are you sure?

Other than a portable fridge I have all the tools required! Now all I need is the method! I'd better get searching.

I am assuming its no 2, I didn't think there were any other sub frame bushes? Do you think these would cause this tyre wear?

whiskychaser
03-16-2010, 12:18 PM
A fridge? Should I even ask why? The amber nectar required to forget a job like this perhaps?

An hour each side? Are you sure?

Other than a portable fridge I have all the tools required! Now all I need is the method! I'd better get searching.

I am assuming its no 2, I didn't think there were any other sub frame bushes? Do you think these would cause this tyre wear?
You stick the new bushes in the freezer so they contract and are easier to fit. But by all means have a beer while you are there:D Yes it took me an hour a side. John did a great write up:
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35718
I suppose that the bushes could let the car crab. But the wear is very low down on the shoulder of the tyre. Must have felt like you had the handbake on with new tyres :(The way I found mine were fkd was simple:
put it in gear and rock the wheel backwards and forwards by hand. If you can see the subframe move (up/down/whatever) they are gone

bsell
03-16-2010, 01:21 PM
The tires look like they failed due to overheating in the sidewall/tread transition. I figure the excessive negative camber coupled with low tire pressure caused the heat build-up.

Too bad this under-inflation is so hard to see from the street.

Mine is lowered (mucho negative camber in the back) so I run the rears at 44psi. I've done this for the three years I've had the car (across three sets of tires, used summers, used snows, and finally new snows) with flat-ish wear.

e34.535i.sport
03-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey there!

Not logging in quite as much these days but the Captain told me you were thinking of selling up!

I've been in a similar frames of mind at times when I just haven't had the energy to get so many jobs done on the car... Fortunately though my stubborn streak prevented me from taking it to a garage so I had to get it done :p Once you start the work you'll probably find it won't be as bad as you thought. (I'm currently changing the exhaust manifold on mine and the valve cover - both causing issues at the most inconvenient time!)

In terms of the work the valve cover gaskets are a fairly straightforward job (I'm not familiar with the V8's but I imagine it's a similar deal), Subframe bushes are 'ok' too... :p providing you do it right and use the freezer trick as Colin said!

Yours is a nice looking motor and you know it's a good runner, all pro's for keeping it.

However my 535i was a good car yet I had a hankering for the XJR and it really is in a different league! :D I imagine the performance will feel similar to the 540i which is essential ;) , and the ride quality really is amazing. I also think it looks a lot younger than it really is and people comment on it all the time. :) I got my 1995 car for £1900 8 months ago and it's been pretty good to me so far (and I do love it!), although it has needed repairs/maintenance which was always expected for a 15 year old car! If you decide to have a look into one I'm getting familiar with the common issues etc so give me a shout and I'll tell you what to look out for.

I'll be interested to see what you decide! :D

e34.535i.sport
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
The bigger problem is that I can't get hold of any Powerflex bushes, the best I have been quoted is 'minimum 10 days', some say 28 days!
Anyone got any tips or alternative brands to Powerflex?

You could try these - Some seem to arrive quickly others take a while :( You'll get them quicker if u pay by paypal! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Powerflex-PFR5-507-Rear-Subframe-Mount-Bushes-BMW-E34_W0QQitemZ160408384637QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item255915b47d

:D

leicesterboy15
03-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey there!

Not logging in quite as much these days but the Captain told me you were thinking of selling up!

I've been in a similar frames of mind at times when I just haven't had the energy to get so many jobs done on the car... Fortunately though my stubborn streak prevented me from taking it to a garage so I had to get it done :p Once you start the work you'll probably find it won't be as bad as you thought. (I'm currently changing the exhaust manifold on mine and the valve cover - both causing issues at the most inconvenient time!)

In terms of the work the valve cover gaskets are a fairly straightforward job (I'm not familiar with the V8's but I imagine it's a similar deal), Subframe bushes are 'ok' too... :p providing you do it right and use the freezer trick as Colin said!

Yours is a nice looking motor and you know it's a good runner, all pro's for keeping it.

However my 535i was a good car yet I had a hankering for the XJR and it really is in a different league! :D I imagine the performance will feel similar to the 540i which is essential ;) , and the ride quality really is amazing. I also think it looks a lot younger than it really is and people comment on it all the time. :) I got my 1995 car for £1900 8 months ago and it's been pretty good to me so far (and I do love it!), although it has needed repairs/maintenance which was always expected for a 15 year old car! If you decide to have a look into one I'm getting familiar with the common issues etc so give me a shout and I'll tell you what to look out for.

I'll be interested to see what you decide! :D

Good to hear from you John and thanks for the advice. Glad to hear your XJR experience is going well!! I am tempted but I've decided to take my car off the road and do the work it needs, I've added couple of other jobs to the list as well, I'll try and post as many procedures as I can.

I ordered the Powerflex sub frame bushes yesterday, they reckon 2 weeks but I'm not hopeful! I tried the ebay link you sent but he said 4 weeks.

So I reckon I've got 4 weeks to get all the work done, sounds like a lot but I've only got the weekends! I've started by removing the rear carpet to give it a good clean because it smells, I'll start on the front arms tomorrow.

Qube
03-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Realistically, will the 1000 bring it up to good condition for a while? If so then your best bet is to stick with it. Buying any other used for that money will have it's own bunch of issues. You'll spend a load more just to bring it up to spec again.

BigKriss
03-22-2010, 12:37 AM
how much are the powerflex subframe bushes? Did you order yellow or purple?

I ordered the Powerflex sub frame bushes yesterday, they reckon 2 weeks but I'm not hopeful! I tried the ebay link you sent but he said 4 weeks.

leicesterboy15
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
how much are the powerflex subframe bushes? Did you order yellow or purple?

I thought they were all yellow, it doesn't give you the option on their website. When they arrive I'll let you know! I got the purple ones for the thrust arms. They were around £55 for the pair, I don't think thats too bad, I would imagine the standard ones are £20 each.

I've started the work, its not fun but I will get there!

BigKriss
03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
reading on m5 board, I thought you could choose, yellow (standard) or purple (a harder compound). Thanks for the link though,.

I thought they were all yellow, it doesn't give you the option on their website. When they arrive I'll let you know! I got the purple ones for the thrust arms. They were around £55 for the pair, I don't think thats too bad, I would imagine the standard ones are £20 each.

I've started the work, its not fun but I will get there!

leicesterboy15
05-13-2010, 05:44 PM
The bushes arrived and they are yellow, they are 507's:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/IMG_8341.jpg

I think the purple ones might be the old ones, form what I have seen the originals were 506's (assuming they were purple) but people were complaining about too much vibration in the cabin so powerflex improved them and produced these. I don't think you can buy the originals unless you request them specifically.

Well I got all the jobs done so it looks like I'm staying, I used all new bolts and all good quality parts, I think I know why my front deteriorated so quickly, I had two right handed thrust arms fitted! Don't you just love garages ! Well All these parts are now gone and replaced with shiny new ones, going for a test cert on Saturday:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/IMG_8342.jpg

I also stripped and cleaned all the carpet and tidied up the Hifi cabling, the damn airbag light is on now so I need to look at that, I didn't have the window or hazard switch connected at the time so hopefully its related (long shot I know).

genphreak
05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Congratlations LB! Better post a pick of the undercarraige so we cna verify your handiwork for you :)

Good to see she's a keeper, they are too rare to let go to the uninitated.