PDA

View Full Version : Better gas mileage using cruise control?

Rick L
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't use cruise control much but decided to use it on my way back from Wisconsin. To alleviate my boredom during the long drive back, I started to play with the trip computer. To my amazement, I was getting 31 MPG @ 70 MPH?!? I never gotten such good MPG before but I don’t use cruise control much either. I turned off the cruise control and maintained the speed at 70 MPH. It dropped to 26.5 MPG. I turned the cruise control back on @ 70 MPH and it climbed back over 30 MPG! Just wondering if the computer controlled throttle is more efficient than I am? :)

BMW4LIFE
03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't use cruise control much but decided to use it on my way back from Wisconsin. To alleviate my boredom during the long drive back, I started to play with the trip computer. To my amazement, I was getting 31 MPG @ 70 MPH?!? I never gotten such good MPG before but I don’t use cruise control much either. I turned off the cruise control and maintained the speed at 70 MPH. It dropped to 26.5 MPG. I turned the cruise control back on @ 70 MPH and it climbed back over 30 MPG! Just wondering if the computer controlled throttle is more efficient than I am? :)

I have noticed an increase in MPG when I use CC!

Just beware you don't fall asleep ;):D

ryan roopnarine
03-03-2010, 05:19 AM

more efficient in spades. I was able to crack 36mpg US at 55mph using cruise and 50% ac in my non vanos 525i automatic.

ps..that's with the EAT, not stock of course.