PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump or Vacuum gauge?

Mordan
02-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Hello,

How many more DIY tests will a vacuum pump allow me to do compared to a simple vacuum gauge?

The pump is 3 times more expensive.

Ross
02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
you want the gauge.
I suspect the vacuum pump you mention is one intended for brake bleeding but can also be used for checking vacuum operated devices.

whiskychaser
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a vacuum gauge. It was cheap but its very good. I cant think of an application for a vacuum pump. This may have more to do with my lack of imagination than the capability of the pump

Ross
02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
For Whiskychaser
http://www.mityvac.com/

whiskychaser
02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
For Whiskychaser
http://www.mityvac.com/

Thanks Ross. One of these days I should fly out there and we might have a drink or two? You might even explain what 'shoot the breeze' means as I am at a loss.

632 Regal
02-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks Ross. One of these days I should fly out there and we might have a drink or two? You might even explain what 'shoot the breeze' means as I am at a loss.

shoot the breeze, I found a video that pretty much explains it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VizualCandi#p/u/4/TuBKvSJnY6A

watch the other videos they are actually good/funny mattering on opinion.

ss2115
02-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Hello,

How many more DIY tests will a vacuum pump allow me to do compared to a simple vacuum gauge?

The pump is 3 times more expensive.

If you purchase a Mighty Vac or other good quality vacuum pump with a large guage, it can also be used as a vacuum guage - ie: both purposes.
And some of the more proffesional versions can also be reversed to act as a pressure pump.

Vacuum pumps are good for checking hoses for leaks as well as vacuum actuators such as found in heater and ventilation controls and some gadgets under the hood such as some EGR valves and such.

Mordan
02-20-2010, 05:54 AM
If you purchase a Mighty Vac or other good quality vacuum pump with a large guage, it can also be used as a vacuum guage - ie: both purposes.
And some of the more proffesional versions can also be reversed to act as a pressure pump.

Vacuum pumps are good for checking hoses for leaks as well as vacuum actuators such as found in heater and ventilation controls and some gadgets under the hood such as some EGR valves and such.

thx for the feedback. Now I know Mighty Vac pump is indeed much better than a simple gauge. By looking at ebay listings I learned you can also do liquid displacement, and brake bleeding!!!! :)

Ross
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM

I'd be happy to sponsor a pint or two(two, phhht) should you ever find yourself in Chicago.
"shoot the breeze" just means conversation, or perhaps more correctly "small talk". I haven't a clue about the phrase's etymology.

Quid pro quo; Bollocks, bollix? Same? My father spent some time in Bassingbourne during the mid forties, something to do with airplanes and Germany, he used the word to describe things gone wrong but I'm inclined to think it also refers to one's anatomy.

No language like English, kings or otherwise for colorful euphemisms. Seems to be the first thing foreigners here adopt, often with hysterical result.