PDA

View Full Version : I am either related to Arnold or just a Retard...I'm thinking the latter... =/

BMW4LIFE
02-19-2010, 04:35 AM
So I tried to change out the pitmans today and not only did I snap the bolt on one side...but on the other side as well... =(

Ended up taking it to the mechanic and he quoted me $100 bucked to take the broken bolts out and install the new parts ( i thought that was a good deal)

So I decided to let him do the front links as well for another $40 as I am over suspension parts for awhile! haha

ahhhhhh sooooo frustrating! :(

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/persian805/0218001529.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/persian805/0218001530.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/persian805/0218001530a.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/persian805/0218001530b.jpg

Ferret
02-19-2010, 04:48 AM
How on earth did you manage that? those bolts look weird, but it's probably just from where they've stretched and snapped! Maybe the last person to put them in overtorqued them...

BMW4LIFE
02-19-2010, 05:15 AM
ha! thats what the mechanic said too...he was like...how strong are you?! haha

k that is not funny! =(

But I jacked the car up...Loaded the suspension as the instruction on Bruno's site says and worked the breaker bar...I heard the initial snap...which I thought was a good sign as I felt the bolt break loose...then I tried to use the wrench and socket but I noticed that it was still too tight...so I worked the breaker bar some more...After 10 tugs for so I hear SNAP!...then the bolt falls...

I was shocked and pissed!

Ross
02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
They were probably cross threaded when installed. Very Un-BMW like. Had they been replaced before?
If that's the case your mechanic will be earning his hundred dollars.

Mordan
02-19-2010, 09:59 AM
They were probably cross threaded when installed. Very Un-BMW like. Had they been replaced before?

yea there seems to be a slight angle. sucks for a DIY but frankly for 100$ I would take heart and be happy. :)

By the way how do you move your car to the mechanics? By hand Arnold?

BMW4LIFE
02-19-2010, 01:40 PM

I am not sure if they have been replaced before...I purchased the car when it had 91,000 on it so I find it highly unlikely that these parts would have gotten that bad in the last 100K...but then again they coul have used crappy parts...

but yes $100 is a great price IMO...

yea there seems to be a slight angle. sucks for a DIY but frankly for 100$ I would take heart and be happy. :)

By the way how do you move your car to the mechanics? By hand Arnold?

I actually threw the car on my shoulders and then jogged all the way to the mechanic...it wasn't that bad...only 6 miles!

haha...j/k no I actually called AAA and they brought a flat bed and I towed it over there...

whiskychaser
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Its the 'yeah its only four bolts' syndrome. Should take you half an hour and takes all day. Its where the punch it, drill it, whack it skills come in. Normally works. But the worst scenario is snapping a tap. You KNOW you havent got a drill hard enough to go through it. But with any luck you know a man who has :D

BMW4LIFE
02-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Its the 'yeah its only four bolts' syndrome. Should take you half an hour and takes all day. Its where the punch it, drill it, whack it skills come in. Normally works. But the worst scenario is snapping a tap. You KNOW you havent got a drill hard enough to go through it. But with any luck you know a man who has :D

hahaha! funny you say that cause that is exactly what I thought...Had the music...the beer...the weather then BOOM!

ahhh...he called me today and was like no worries man I got your call all fixed...he is the ****!

I just found out that he is specially trained through BMW and Porsche!...I think he will be my mechanic for a long time to come

BMW4LIFE
02-20-2010, 01:59 AM
hahaha! funny you say that cause that is exactly what I thought...Had the music...the beer...the weather then BOOM!

ahhh...he called me today and was like no worries man I got your call all fixed...he is the ****!

I just found out that he is specially trained through BMW and Porsche!...I think he will be my mechanic for a long time to come

Oh and I was talking to him earlier regarding gear oils and he was telling me that there is nothing like SWEPCO...

I was like do you like M1...his like do you dog crap?!

hahahaha!

he said RP and Amsoil are the second best next to SWEPCO....

has anyone here tried that stuff....he warned me that its pricey though! :(

Kibokojoe
02-20-2010, 09:10 PM
I have learned over the years to tighten a bolt first before loosening them. And plenty of PB Blaster. If they are really rusty I set my pneumatic wrench to low torque and spin them in and out while spraying and heating with map gas. It has been years since I broke one. Man that is a bummer. Sure hope they are not cross threaded

BMW4LIFE
02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
picked up the car today...the mechanic was like that was a sitnch...

He was like...I have a tool where it has a claw at the end...the more I turn it the harder it grabs...and her said a little heat...and boom they came right out...

But I do have the say...after replacing the pitmans and the front sway bar links the car feels sooooo much more solid

but I noticed that when I was down there...that one of the rear sway bars links bushing is shot...is that worth replacing or should I just leave it? I hope I don't snap that bad boy too...I would never show my face again! haha

BigKriss
02-21-2010, 04:05 AM
replace the rear swabar link, you wont snap things a second time

Scott C
02-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Get past the fear - you can do it (the sway bar link)!!!!

Scott

BMW4LIFE
02-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Get past the fear - you can do it (the sway bar link)!!!!

Scott

I think I will...I have to order the part first...but I am waiting for Pelican parts to get the better tranny filter in so I can order that and do it all at the same time.

Any recommendations on tranny filters and gaskets?

Scott C
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I think I will...I have to order the part first...but I am waiting for Pelican parts to get the better tranny filter in so I can order that and do it all at the same time.

Any recommendations on tranny filters and gaskets?

All I can say is wear a condom on your head! It is damn messy to do this job on jackstands - ask me how I know! :) I can't remember which ones I ordered but if in doubt - take a look at what BMA sells - they usually have the good stuff.

Scott

BMW4LIFE
02-23-2010, 01:27 AM
All I can say is wear a condom on your head! It is damn messy to do this job on jackstands - ask me how I know! :) I can't remember which ones I ordered but if in doubt - take a look at what BMA sells - they usually have the good stuff.

Scott

BMA - CRP $40

AutohauzAZ - Meistersatz $26

p.s. I have never heard of CRP...anyone know anything about it?

PelicanParts seeks really highly of this brand (Elring Klinger) but they have non in stock...they rate Meistersatz as GOOD and dont even stock CRP

What to do?

Scott C
02-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I checked my records (and Arizona's :) )

I went with Meistersatz (https://www.autohausaz.com/html/brandnames.html)

Not sure I used any logic other than it was reasonable price. Others may have more reason ;)

BMW4LIFE
02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I checked my records (and Arizona's :) )

I went with Meistersatz (https://www.autohausaz.com/html/brandnames.html)

Not sure I used any logic other than it was reasonable price. Others may have more reason ;)

Yea I imagine that there should not be that much of a difference but I want to be as sure as possible before I pull the trigger