PDA

View Full Version : OT: betta fish question....

ryan roopnarine
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
I know that this is way off topic here, but, being honest, there are some days where posts don't even move 1/2 way down the first page. Anyhoo, a little background....I have a great deal of experience with these fish before, bred them, et cetera. I've never been of the camp that says to place mirrors next to bowls, place other bowls with bettas next to other bowls for the purposes of having them constantly want to fight.

I purchased a pet store cheapie male, and placed him in a 3 gallon acrylic tank that I was going to make a pico-reef out of with a clown fish and anemone. Anyway, I decided against that because, even though I can buy clownfish here in florida all day for <$10, 1) it would be hard to keep it/them alive in such a small volume, and 2) I would somehow have to connect at least a 3 gallon sized filter to it externally to keep things from constantly going sideways. Let me end my rambling now.

Problem with this is, I think that the fish can see his reflection in the convex sides of the acrylic, as he constantly patrols the sides and flares his gills out. Is this bad for the long term longevity of the fish? I've hand him 3 days now, and I don't think he's slept the entire time (I've been up writing and doing work until odd hours, and would know if he did). I'm thinking that I need to stick black construction paper to the sides and back to kill the reflection. Furthermore, I'm a hopeless anthromorphosizer, and want to get him a little girlfriend fish, but would be worried about him attacking her if he's constantly amped up. If someone could tell me that they've had fish against mirrors or against the bowls of other bettas for years at a time, without a increase in mortality, I'll not bother papering the sides or getting him a new tank. Thanks.

whiskychaser
02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I dont know anything keeping fish. But in an effort to help I have put your concerns on my Facebook status and will forward any sensible replies.

Ross
02-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I've had several of these fish that did the same. One lived a year or so, the next only several weeks and the last one(named MORT as we didn't expect much longevity)carried on for about three years as I recall.
It gives them something to do I suppose.

NovceGuru
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
I know that this is way off topic here, but, being honest, there are some days where posts don't even move 1/2 way down the first page. Anyhoo, a little background....I have a great deal of experience with these fish before, bred them, et cetera. I've never been of the camp that says to place mirrors next to bowls, place other bowls with bettas next to other bowls for the purposes of having them constantly want to fight.

I purchased a pet store cheapie male, and placed him in a 3 gallon acrylic tank that I was going to make a pico-reef out of with a clown fish and anemone. Anyway, I decided against that because, even though I can buy clownfish here in florida all day for <$10, 1) it would be hard to keep it/them alive in such a small volume, and 2) I would somehow have to connect at least a 3 gallon sized filter to it externally to keep things from constantly going sideways. Let me end my rambling now.

Problem with this is, I think that the fish can see his reflection in the convex sides of the acrylic, as he constantly patrols the sides and flares his gills out. Is this bad for the long term longevity of the fish? I've hand him 3 days now, and I don't think he's slept the entire time (I've been up writing and doing work until odd hours, and would know if he did). I'm thinking that I need to stick black construction paper to the sides and back to kill the reflection. Furthermore, I'm a hopeless anthromorphosizer, and want to get him a little girlfriend fish, but would be worried about him attacking her if he's constantly amped up. If someone could tell me that they've had fish against mirrors or against the bowls of other bettas for years at a time, without a increase in mortality, I'll not bother papering the sides or getting him a new tank. Thanks.

Funny enough, I just got a Betta for Christmas in a little one gallon vase, and somehow she's convinced me to attempt a 72 gal tank and get her some friends. ****.

I had bought a 36 gal kit and am going to do a custom stand for it, so I figured...what the hell.

I would think eventually he would get used to the reflection. From what I've read, they're better off having something to keep them spunky than be lethargic and bored, but, I'm just a novice :)

ryan roopnarine
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I've had several of these fish that did the same. One lived a year or so, the next only several weeks and the last one(named MORT as we didn't expect much longevity)carried on for about three years as I recall.
It gives them something to do I suppose.

Good to know. It seems as though when I was up in Canada, you would pay a premium over (fl) but I could buy these things all day long and they'd be indestructible, but then again, you wouldn't see them for sale in trifiling little margarine containers over the sink at walmart. I think I've had two die on me within the span of 3 weeks, after which i stopped. Like I said prior, I know how to take care of and breed the things, but I'm gonna assume that the stock that survives the trip up to Saskatchewan and costed near $8 a piece in 1995 money might be better than the stuff that is distributed at walmart.

I don't think I ever had one (up there) that lasted less than a year and a half. The first one was 1.5 years old when a disease passed through the tank, the other was 2 when a moving man moved his container next to the door during a -30-40dF winter. Both of these also got along wonderfully with females. Perhaps the quality of the stock has to do with the common admonition (down here) about not mixing males and females in the same tank. Thanks.

632 Regal
02-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Ryan, I think Ed can shed some light on this also. Sign up and send him a message on crappie.com. I dont think he even checks in her anymore. He used to have some really sweet tanks for sale for tropical and other small fishies.

Ross
02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I've noticed Wal-Mart no longer sells them. Good thing I say as half of them in the store were already floaters. It was actually out of pity that I bought the first one. After three I realized I was part of the problem.

whiskychaser
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM
I had hoped that within 24 hours some of my so-called friends would have come up with some constructive suggestions regarding the fate of your fish. I regret that they have failed me-and you- miserably. I would say that I hope your fish live long and prosper. But you might think I am extracting the Michael.

ryan roopnarine
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
update...he calmed down markedly.
i bought him a little girlfriend fish, who he is constantly flaring at and posturing at as though he is going to kill her, but only gets up in her face (and she returns the posturing). I think they like each other, though I made a big mistake in getting such a juvenile, immature sized female in comparison to the male. He was chilling out in a little cave that he likes last night, and the female swam in an alternate hole. he puffed up to cave size, but the female kept coming, and basically "forced" him out, puffing and all, in reverse. looked like a hammer hammering a nail in reverse, kind of. I'm assuming that they should be ok together, at least for the time being.

repenttokyo
02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
to further the off-topicness - I just built a Macquarium with my GF, and we went with 3 neon tetras instead of a betta - i thought just one betta would be lonely.

You can see a vid of the tank here: http://vimeo.com/9740248