PDA

View Full Version : Sooo I started the E34 rejuvenation process and have hit a few stumps....

BMW4LIFE
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Air filter (check)

fuel filter (check)

Hood shocks (check with an extra surprise...the new shocks LAUNCH my hood open when I pull the release...I am afraid that my hood will go flying one day) hahaha

Pitmans ( I have heard that you do not need to jack the car up...other say you do and put a load on the others...Others say just jack it up...what should I do?)

Front Links ( do I need to place a load on the tires when I have the car jacked up?)

So I noticed that No. 3 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=11_1284&hg=11&fg=15) is broken off...I went to see where it connects to but I can not find it...can anyone shed some light on this please? I need to fix this because I am getting all kinds of crap under the hood... =/

As far as the differential goes...I went under but I could not locate the number or anything on it that say if it is a LSD or OPEN...I would imagine it is a OPEN one just because it is a 525i e34 93'....can my VIN tell me something?

Furthermore...on the differential...I think I have located the drain plug (inverted hex?) but I can not see the fill plug...is this process a Pain in the ASS?

I think that should do it for now...thanks everyone!!! :)

BigKriss
02-13-2010, 07:47 AM
the diff the drain and fill plug are right next to each other, the fill is on top, the drain down the bottom, they look the same

front links, you can have car jacked, no need to have it under load

pitarms, i dont think it matter if you have car jacked or not

okay cya

BMW4LIFE
02-13-2010, 03:18 PM
the diff the drain and fill plug are right next to each other, the fill is on top, the drain down the bottom, they look the same

front links, you can have car jacked, no need to have it under load

pitarms, i dont think it matter if you have car jacked or not

okay cya

Kriss...thanks for your response...after 10000 looks and one response I started feeling discouraged! =/

Any one know about the real oem link question?

BigKriss
02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/JF-Tech/BMW_E30_3_Series_differential_oil_change.htm

mate the fill plug and drain plug are on top of each other, about 3 inchs apart

BMW4LIFE
02-14-2010, 01:44 AM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/JF-Tech/BMW_E30_3_Series_differential_oil_change.htm

mate the fill plug and drain plug are on top of each other, about 3 inchs apart

Thank BigKriss!

I will get under again and look at it sometime Monday...Do you know where the tag for the diff is that tells you if it is a LSD or OPEN? I looked but I just couldnt find it :(

I imagine its OPEN but I want to be sure

BigKriss
02-14-2010, 02:06 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Transmission/Data/Diff2_big.jpg

There you go! - Look like its next to the output flange.

BigKriss
02-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Mate, I thought the drain and fill holes were next to each other, but it looks like the fill plug is on the side and the drain one at the back of the diff.

See here; http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Differential+seals

BMW4LIFE
02-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey kriss!

I found the drain and fill plug....

The fill plug seems it is in a tight area where I have no idea how I am going to open it...let alone torque it.

I also found the number on the diff...it depicts

"4.10 6031"

So i take it it's an OPEN diff correct?

BMW4LIFE
02-17-2010, 02:33 PM
bump

bubba966
02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
I also found the number on the diff...it depicts

"4.10 6031"

So i take it it's an OPEN diff correct?

Yup, 4.10:1 open diff. It'd have an S4.10 if it was an LSD.

BMW4LIFE
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Yup, 4.10:1 open diff. It'd have an S4.10 if it was an LSD.

Hey bubba question for you...

I went and looked at some prices on the gear oil and the

royal purple was 18.99 quart while Mobile 1 was 8.99 quart

is there that much of a difference? what should I get?

bubba966
02-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Hey bubba question for you...

I went and looked at some prices on the gear oil and the

royal purple was 18.99 quart while Mobile 1 was 8.99 quart

is there that much of a difference? what should I get?

I wouldn't stick M1 gear oil in my diff. I'd stick with either Redline, RP, or Amsoil for gear oil. Think the really good Amsoil is only $14.99/quart, and Redline is like $12 or so. Whichever you find locally that fits your wallet.

I'd go with either Castrol or Valvoline synth gear oils before I put M1 in there.

Can you tell I've not been terribly happy with M1 products I've tried?...

bubba966
02-18-2010, 02:34 AM
is there that much of a difference?

Sorry, shoulda answered this in my last post. Yes, there's a difference. In running M1 5w30 in my M60 as well as Amsoil 0w30 in it it was very, very easy to tell that there was less friction when using the Amsoil than the M1. Haven't heard anything worthwhile about M1 from the local CCA racers. They all use RP/RL/Amsoil in their diffs. And none of them actually run M1 in their engines or trannys either.

Amsoil & RP are very, very similar performance wise. So with either of those you should get the least amount of friction in your diff that's possible. Less friction = longer life, better MPG, & less power loss.

So, say that you go for the RP and spend $20 more than you would if you put the M1 in there. You run the RP for 50,000 miles. Lets be generous and say you averaged 25MPG over those 50,000 miles so you'd use 2,000 gallons of gas at an average of $3.00/gallon. So you've spent $6,000 on gas for the life of that diff oil.

If you only gain a 1% increase in gas mileage using the RP over the M1 you've saved $60 worth of gas for a $20 higher initial outlay buying the RP over the M1. I'm sure that the reduction in friction of RP or Amsoil over M1 would lead to a 1% or 2% increase in MPG.

That help you out any?

BMW4LIFE
02-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Sorry, shoulda answered this in my last post. Yes, there's a difference. In running M1 5w30 in my M60 as well as Amsoil 0w30 in it it was very, very easy to tell that there was less friction when using the Amsoil than the M1. Haven't heard anything worthwhile about M1 from the local CCA racers. They all use RP/RL/Amsoil in their diffs. And none of them actually run M1 in their engines or trannys either.

Amsoil & RP are very, very similar performance wise. So with either of those you should get the least amount of friction in your diff that's possible. Less friction = longer life, better MPG, & less power loss.

So, say that you go for the RP and spend $20 more than you would if you put the M1 in there. You run the RP for 50,000 miles. Lets be generous and say you averaged 25MPG over those 50,000 miles so you'd use 2,000 gallons of gas at an average of $3.00/gallon. So you've spent $6,000 on gas for the life of that diff oil.

If you only gain a 1% increase in gas mileage using the RP over the M1 you've saved $60 worth of gas for a $20 higher initial outlay buying the RP over the M1. I'm sure that the reduction in friction of RP or Amsoil over M1 would lead to a 1% or 2% increase in MPG.

That help you out any?

Bubba I love alllll your explanations...they give me sooo much confidence in the product you talk about...I now regret not using the E3s =(

I will never doubt your advice again!

thanks! =)