PDA

View Full Version : Funny Burnt Smell Tonight When The Car Idealed For 30 Minutes! =(

BMW4LIFE
02-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Like the title says...I got a smell when I approached my car tonight by the drivers door of a burnt plastic or some sort that really hit me the wrong way.

At first I though it was the exhaust but it seemed like it was more localized in the middle of the car...

I know I have a minor oil leak...could that just be burning off?

oil sometimes gives that scent, albeit irregular but does happen. If it continues then take a peek. Other than that everyone says to rush out the car bay and rush to destination... I Like to warm her a bit first. sort of like.... nevermind.

whiskychaser
02-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Like the title says...I got a smell when I approached my car tonight by the drivers door of a burnt plastic or some sort that really hit me the wrong way.

At first I though it was the exhaust but it seemed like it was more localized in the middle of the car...

I know I have a minor oil leak...could that just be burning off?
Any chance you could have picked up a plastic bag on your travels? They stink like hell but burn off eventually

BMW4LIFE
02-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Any chance you could have picked up a plastic bag on your travels? They stink like hell but burn off eventually

hmmm not too sure...I would have to check...I do know one thing that is wrong with my engine bay though...

There is a little black hose that comes out of the engine right next to the oil filter housing...that has some how broken and it is exposed (pictures to follow)

could that be making the smell?

whiskychaser
02-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Sounds like the crankcase vent hose. No.3 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=11_1284&hg=11&fg=15
If so after half an hour of idling it may well stink a bit.

dennyg
02-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Did you have the heater fan going? Change that micro filter and make sure that no debris is in the squirrel cage compartment (pine needles leaves). Many E34 owners have lost their ride due to fire.

BMW4LIFE
02-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Did you have the heater fan going? Change that micro filter and make sure that no debris is in the squirrel cage compartment (pine needles leaves). Many E34 owners have lost their ride due to fire.

I did have the heater going actually! I was going to change my micro filter but I hear it is a bitch! =/