PDA

View Full Version : E34 Stock AMP

///Sniper535
02-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Are the '95 Amplifiers
better than the ones that came on '89 model year E34s?

BMWDriver
02-09-2010, 08:19 PM
There have been 3 generations of amps going into the e34. They are quite different from each other. I don't expect you could retrofit a 95 to an 89. If it was possible though, you would not gain anything noticeable from that move, I am sure.

There are a lot of possible upgrades depending on your budget. New head unit, new amp, new crossover, new speakers, adding a subwoofer... a combination of your choice with the previous.

So far I've added a new head unit, combined it to a small subwoofer with an amp, and have kept the current speakers, gutted the old amp and remade the crossover on a board that I dropped inside the gutted amp box. Oh yeah, and a control box matched to the head unit for the world famous iPod.

The first two generations of the amps can have the crossover put to use. The second (I had) is more difficult, and the first can be easy if you know what to look for. The third generation is not possible to do with because it is a digital crossover. Look for "crossover" as a keyword for the first generation amp method.

I have not fully posted how I did my crossover, since I don't think it would be much use. Perhaps I should though.

HTH