PDA

View Full Version : Paging Regal, SHogun, Bill R., or anyone else regarding Tranny fluid

BMW4LIFE
02-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Hi I have read like a million articles on tranny fluid and finally decided that I am going to change mine and was wondering what the top three tranny fluids are that you guys would use?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/cat/Transmission/C0207/C0014.oap

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?viewAll=&displayName=Transmission+Fluid&categoryNValue=101312&sortType=high&storeNo=3353&fromWhere=&fromString=search&itemId=162-10&appQuestionId=&brandNValue=&navValue=100162&filterByKeyWord=fluid&ansQListString=&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Oil%2C+Fluid%2C+Lubrication+an d+Tools&parentId=1312-10&nysQFromType=&fromType=accessories&pageNumber=1

thanks!

shogun
02-06-2010, 04:33 AM
most of the stuff linked I have never seen in our country, O'Reilly - Automatic Transmission Fluid ?

I use Chevron, but only because I can get it cheap from COSTCO here.

ryan roopnarine
02-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I've put at least 60 quarts of transmission fluid into my m50/4l30e equipped 525i over the past 7 years for routine maintenence. I've only gotten a batch of bad transmission fluid once, and it was advance auto parts dexiii/merc. none of the brands noticeably improved/degraded shift quality. you can even put walmart dexiii/merc in there if you want with no ill effects. if you are set on buying from oreilly, just buy the store grade, or maybe the name brand stuff that is closest in price to the oreilly (excluding coastal, they've had some qc problems over the last couple of years).

BMW4LIFE
02-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I've put at least 60 quarts of transmission fluid into my m50/4l30e equipped 525i over the past 7 years for routine maintenence. I've only gotten a batch of bad transmission fluid once, and it was advance auto parts dexiii/merc. none of the brands noticeably improved/degraded shift quality. you can even put walmart dexiii/merc in there if you want with no ill effects. if you are set on buying from oreilly, just buy the store grade, or maybe the name brand stuff that is closest in price to the oreilly (excluding coastal, they've had some qc problems over the last couple of years).

I was actually looking at the Mobile 1 full synthetic?

what is your feeling on that? Where should I but Tranny oil from then?

Tiger
02-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Don't waste your money on synthetic. Your tranny doesn't need it. The important thing is you change your fluid regularly to flush out the contaminant.

If you want, go halfway... semi synthetic like Pennzoil Multi Vehicle... should be under $4 a quart. I prefer to use Valvoline Dextron ATF for regular stuff.

ryan roopnarine
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I was actually looking at the Mobile 1 full synthetic?

what is your feeling on that? Where should I but Tranny oil from then?

If you only change it once every 25k-30k miles or so, that should work. If you are changing it more frequently, you could put the walmart gallon jug stuff in there and it would be fine.

Russell
02-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I change mine every 30,000 or so. My last fill was Castrol Dexron VI. I think my next fill will be Valvoline Dexron VI as it is supposedly fully synthetic. 180,000 mile on the original trany-so far :). I understand Dexron III is no longer licensed so be carefully of what you put in. IMO, go with Dexron VI.

Regardless of another posters comment, I think synthetic is the best way to go. However, where can you find fully synthetic Dexron III fluid. Mobil 1 used to make it and I used it on a previous fill. However, Mobil 1 changed the name after the III license ranout. So I am not sure if it is the same.

BMW4LIFE
02-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I change mine every 30,000 or so. My last fill was Castrol Dexron VI. I think my next fill will be Valvoline Dexron VI as it is supposedly fully synthetic. 180,000 mile on the original trany-so far :). I understand Dexron III is no longer licensed so be carefully of what you put in. IMO, go with Dexron VI.

Regardless of another posters comment, I think synthetic is the best way to go. However, where can you find fully synthetic Dexron III fluid. Mobil 1 used to make it and I used it on a previous fill. However, Mobil 1 changed the name after the III license ranout. So I am not sure if it is the same.

hmmm...So from what I have understood so far from all the posts so far is that I should use Syn...stay away from Dex III and get IV...and that Mobile 1 is iffy...

Oh no...I feel like I am back at square 1...haha...

Hey Russell from the two part stores that I have provided the links can you please post what links of tranny oils are the best?

thanks guys for all your help!!! =)

ryan roopnarine
02-06-2010, 04:53 PM
The transmission on your car was originally spec'd for Dexron II. Putting in any name brand transmission fluid that says "dexron III" compatible will be ok. It is too long after the spec for anyone to claim compatibility with dexron II. buy on price if you want. if you want to spend a significant amount more than dextron iii, you can put the VI in there--but remember, you usually pay 5+ for the stuff in an auto parts store. go to walmart, if you live in the US, and see if they sell a generic VI fluid.

any dexron III compatible fluid will work. i'd advise you to stay away from AAP because of my anecdote, coastal for a questionable reputation in general.

and VI is NOT fully synthetic.

hmmm...So from what I have understood so far from all the posts so far is that I should use Syn...stay away from Dex III and get IV...and that Mobile 1 is iffy...

Oh no...I feel like I am back at square 1...haha...

Hey Russell from the two part stores that I have provided the links can you please post what links of tranny oils are the best?

thanks guys for all your help!!! =)

Tiger
02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, Dextron is DEXTRON... don't care for what number it is... 1,2,3,4,5 and now 6?

Tiger
02-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Your 525 never came with synthetic ATF so it is an optional item. I'd rather flush out the tranny with multiple drains than to use Synthetic for one time only filling 1/3 of the tranny.

Think about it... 1/3 synthetic and 2/3 old tranny fluid. You are not going to get 100% of the old ATF out in one time unless you rebuild your tranny or got a rebuilt one.

BMW4LIFE
02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Your 525 never came with synthetic ATF so it is an optional item. I'd rather flush out the tranny with multiple drains than to use Synthetic for one time only filling 1/3 of the tranny.

Think about it... 1/3 synthetic and 2/3 old tranny fluid. You are not going to get 100% of the old ATF out in one time unless you rebuild your tranny or got a rebuilt one.

That does make perfect sense Tiger...

how do you feel about this?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp;jsessionid=80F3B7A2A5D4FDCD6 1FA561CF29D75EE.diyprod2-b2c12?counter=8&categoryDisplayName=Oil%2C+Fluid%2C+Lubrication+an d+Tools&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=930140_0_0_&productId=930140&sortType=high&parentId=1312-10&filterByKeyWord=fluid&categoryNValue=101312&navValue=100162&fromWhere=&itemId=162-10&displayName=Transmission+Fluid&store=3353&skuDisplayName=1+qt.+Dexron+VI+premium+synthetic+b lend+automatic+transmission+fluid+for+use+in+GM+ve hicles&brandName=Castrol

I just don't want to put some cheap **** it even though I will flush it more often...cause at the end of the day I'd rather spend an extra $20 to get a better product!

Tiger
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
That will do.

BMW4LIFE
02-06-2010, 05:22 PM
That will do.

Sorry to bother you guys again...but how many quarts do I need to do that 1/3 flush/drain method

ryan roopnarine
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I might be a glutton for punishment for even typing this....if you are gonna pay that much for a semi-synthetic product, pay the extra dollar a quart to autozone and buy the mobil 1. or you can probably get all of the advantages of the vi by buying the cheaper walmart vi fluid from for not much more than the iii stuff from autozone.

seeing your previous post--

do you have a dipstick? I'd buy at least 4, maybe 5, and return any sealed bottles to the store afterward.

Russell
02-06-2010, 05:25 PM

You are generally correct about how much oil is removed during a drain and fill. However, my indy mechanic also blows air through the trany cooler to remove more fluid. His changes generally removes at east 60 percent of the old fluid. On the 525i models with NO dipstick it is such a pain for most of us to do trany service I would rather just have it done with the best quality fluid possible. To each his own.

ryan roopnarine
02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
You are generally correct about how much oil is removed during a drain and fill. However, my indy mechanic also blows air through the trany cooler to remove more fluid. His changes generally removes at east 60 percent of the old fluid. On the 525i models with NO dipstick it is such a pain for most of us to do trany service I would rather just have it done with the best quality fluid possible. To each his own.

I think that your guy is being a little optimistic/misleading with the 60% figure unless he's letting it sit open for a good long while. your oil cooler looks a lot bigger than mine, yes there's more fluid sitting in it, but actually removing more is accomplished more by letting it drip than blowing it out. 15% ( of the 8.8 qt figure given by bmw) of the oil in one of those only comes out after letting the transmission sit for a month with no operative amount of fluid in it, at least in my case. another 17 percent MINIMUM comes out of the torque converter, and that is on one that has residual fluid (a used unit that was drained). it has more than 17% in there.

No offense to the OP, but your change schedule is probably going to be determined by how little of a PITA it represents to you to refill your dipstickless transmission. When I had a dipstick, i'd change it at every oil change/every other one. Now that I've put the dipstickless one in there, i'm much more hesitant to mess with it because of the pain involved in refills.

Also, as someone that has opened and rebuilt about 1/3 of the transmission on your car after putting about 100k mi on it in 3.5 years, I really don't think that your choice in fluid is going to make that big a difference in longevity. the failure point in your transmission is going to be a few little cheap-@ss plastic thrust washers and a poorly thoughtout paper gasket that connects the bellhousing to the overdrive and main case. i didn't see anything, really, metal-wise, that needed to be replaced in mine. a few clearances were noticeably wider than normal where the thrust washers had disintegrated, but it still drove and shifted normally to that point.

Russell
02-06-2010, 06:23 PM
I think that your guy is being a little optimistic/misleading with the 60% figure unless he's letting it sit open for a good long while. your oil cooler looks a lot bigger than mine, yes there's more fluid sitting in it, but actually removing more is accomplished more by letting it drip than blowing it out. 15% ( of the 8.8 qt figure given by bmw) of the oil in one of those only comes out after letting the transmission sit for a month with no operative amount of fluid in it, at least in my case. another 17 percent MINIMUM comes out of the torque converter, and that is on one that has residual fluid (a used unit that was drained). it has more than 17% in there.

No offense to the OP, but your change schedule is probably going to be determined by how little of a PITA it represents to you to refill your dipstickless transmission. When I had a dipstick, i'd change it at every oil change/every other one. Now that I've put the dipstickless one in there, i'm much more hesitant to mess with it because of the pain involved in refills.

Also, as someone that has opened and rebuilt about 1/3 of the transmission on your car after putting about 100k mi on it in 3.5 years, I really don't think that your choice in fluid is going to make that big a difference in longevity. the failure point in your transmission is going to be a few little cheap-@ss plastic thrust washers and a poorly thoughtout paper gasket that connects the bellhousing to the overdrive and main case. i didn't see anything, really, metal-wise, that needed to be replaced in mine. a few clearances were noticeably wider than normal where the thrust washers had disintegrated, but it still drove and shifted normally to that point.

Great info. Even so I will still use the best fluid I can as the extra cost is not an issue. My indy uses 6 quarts. Perhaps some is lost in the process. I have not actually seen him do it the three times it has been performed on my car. BTW, it is due now.

I always pay attention to someone who actually has worked on these tranys. Yep I think the paper gasket (I think that's the one) is finally going to give out soon we as I sometimes have the infamous pendilum shift in overdrive.

ryan roopnarine
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Great info. Even so I will still use the best fluid I can as the extra cost is not an issue. My indy uses 6 quarts. Perhaps some is lost in the process. I have not actually seen him do it the three times it has been performed on my car. BTW, it is due now.

I always pay attention to someone who actually has worked on these tranys. Yep I think the paper gasket (I think that's the one) is finally going to give out soon we as I sometimes have the infamous pendilum shift in overdrive.

The gasket in mine had become baked-on, but would still drive ok. the paper one does cause pendulum, but i'd bet money that if you feel the occasional slow reverse/pendulum shift that it has likely failed a good deal already. As you can tell, that gasket failing probably isn't going to kill the transmission before its time would be up anyways.

Russell
02-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Slow reverse after setting three or more days has been going on for at least three years. I drive the car almost every day as a commute vehicle. Pendulum ship was noticed about 6 months ago.

Talked to al the local trany shops regarding rebuild. Only one small old school local shop seemed capable/recomended. Discussed with my indy (they use a california rebuilder) and the dealer (shocking cost) Estimated cost in assending order from about $1,800 to about $5 grand.

BMW4LIFE
02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Okay so it is going to be Mobile 1...I love their oil even though some of you guys might disagree with me so I figure that their Tranny Oil should be great as well...I'll check out walmart as they might carry the M1 at a cheaper rate

as far as the filter goes...

the Elring seems to be the better product

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE34/POR_BE34_TRANSM_pg1.htm#item0

but is there another one that is better? Is there anything else I need to replace while I am down there besides the gaskets, filter and the screws?

BMW4LIFE
02-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Freakin F me and my paranoia... after reading the comments in the bottom of this article

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

I don't ever want to change my tranny fluid....too many horror stories! =(

But the problem is that I still want to change it...but I am deathly afraid at this point!

any advice?

632 Regal
02-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Freakin F me and my paranoia... after reading the comments in the bottom of this article

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

I don't ever want to change my tranny fluid....too many horror stories! =(

But the problem is that I still want to change it...but I am deathly afraid at this point!

any advice?

just change the gasket and filter and use the M1 fluid. Your not going to drain it for days so you should only need about 4-4.5 quarts to make up for what drained. Dont autocross the car for a thousand miles and youll be fine. The problems start when people flush the whole thing and the clutches de-laminate and they drive hard...

Just change out whats needed for the filter change and move on with life, no big deal.

Ferret101
02-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Yes, Dextron is DEXTRON... don't care for what number it is... 1,2,3,4,5 and now 6?

I thought it was dexron?