PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Exhaust on a 535i

vping
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
The exhaust is getting worse on my 535i and needs to be replaced. With this economy, I'm on a tight budget so as little as I can get by with will be best but I'd like a little better than stock if I can. What is recommended?

BigKriss
01-30-2010, 11:19 AM
a second hand item from another 535i

vping
01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
'Round here, it's not always the cheapest. I will take a look though.

BennyM
01-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I did a second hand for my 525i. $100 total with new hangers and some beer. I'm pretty satisfied.

If you can't find a good unit locally, be cautious with buying one and having it shipped. I had a full exhaust shipped from a recycler in California once and while it appeared very clean, I could hear the innards rattling around when I lifted it. They shipped it with a thin coating of newspaper and nothing momre. Had to send it back, which was a major hassle. Never got all of my money back either.

'Round here, it's not always the cheapest. I will take a look though.

ArnZ!
01-31-2010, 03:17 AM
How much of the exhaust needs replacing?

If the whole thing then start saving your money because that's going to be a $$$ for a decent system.

If your just changing the rear muffler (which rusted out first on my car) going with a glass pack straight through muffler works nice, also has a alright sound too.

vping
01-31-2010, 08:53 AM
I still need to get under it and decide how bad it really is. You can hear that it is leaking from a few spots. I'd like to get it in the garage to get it up on ramps but I've got an MGB in there right getting stripped. Pulling the blower motor yesterday was brutal in this cold. 5 minutes of work, 10 minutes of thaw......