PDA

View Full Version : A bushing comparison

BennyM
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
I had a chance to compare the new Meyle HD and the regular Lemforder M5 bushings. The meyle appears to actually be a bit beefier. What do you guys think?

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/bennyboym/bushing-comparison.jpg

BennyM

Tiger
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Are you sure that is M5 bushing? That look like standard bushing.

750L bushings have fluid in there... so there will be alot of flex.

M5 is solid rubber bushing... not as much flex.

Bo525i
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I´m running the Meyle HDs, how long they´ll last I dunno but they sure tightened up my front a lot!

BennyM
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm sure. It has the M5 part number.

Are you sure that is M5 bushing? That look like standard bushing.

BigKriss
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
The bush on the left is the standard m5 one. I has hard rubber with 3 air gaps like pictured. The meyle HD bush looks beefier to me, but I wonder how hard the rubbers are (in duromoeter rating).

Tiger m5 bush is not solid thoughout. Good pictures Benny.

shogun
01-27-2010, 12:25 AM
I do not know about the M5 bushes, but I use Meyle HD since about 2 years on my 750 and so far no problem.

I assume that also the proper tightening procedure is very important for a long life of the bushes.
What we usually do is to pre-tighten them under load, then just drive around the block at slow speed to let them settle properly in position, then final tightening under load.
Works, but maybe not the 100% proper way as per the manual.
Nice pics, thanks

632 Regal
01-28-2010, 04:55 PM
take off that green plastic crutch and then compare looks..

Now stick a big screwdriver in the hole and wiggle them both around and post back.

:D

BennyM
01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I didn't wiggle them around, but I did take out the Meyle HD bushings and compare them to the M5s, and to a torn up stock blue bushing we had lying around. The HDs were definitely the heaviest and had the smallest gaps (most rubber). The M5s probably had the widest gaps, even wider than stock, but also had the darkest (hopefully most dense) rubber. That being said, we pressed the M5 bushings in anyway, because I have yet to find anyone with negative feedback for them. Plus, now I can say I have M5 SUSPENSION! I'll keep the Meyle's around in case the M5s do crap out. That way I know I'll have at least two years of auxiliary bushingtasticness to fall back on. I'm obviously counting on the ball joints to last even longer.

I'll let you know how things feel once I install the new arms next week.

BennyM

take off that green plastic crutch and then compare looks..

Now stick a big screwdriver in the hole and wiggle them both around and post back.

:D

632 Regal
01-30-2010, 09:36 PM
if I havent tore one up yet I am pretty sure your going to like them.

SnakeyesTx
02-02-2010, 11:12 PM
If those ever crap out on you, try 840i bushings. They look just as beefy, if not more than the Meyles in your picture. I used them on my 525 and it was smooth as butter for the year and 20k miles I had put on them right before someone decided to run a light and rear end me and push me into an SUV. My sig's the replacements :D

Edit : The E28 is getting Meyle HD's (which should arrive tomorrow) based on quite a number of positive response on the E28 board. The E39 got (brace yourself) ... X5 bushings :p