PDA

View Full Version : 535 oil pan gasket

caster
06-11-2004, 02:38 PM
My oil pan gasket needs replacement- anything I need to know, problem areas, before installing the new gasket?

Kamil
06-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I though that mine was leaking too... then I retighten the bolts and it stopped.
I don't know (doubt) if this was the right thing to do, and exactly what was the reason for it leaking, but it fixed the problem.

trevorg
06-11-2004, 05:07 PM
I just got my car a couple days ago and I've lost maybe a half quart in 2 days just sitting in the garage. I'm glad to know at least that I'm not alone.

Martin in Bellevue
06-11-2004, 06:25 PM
If you can, get the napa paper gasket. The stock cork gasket isn't great to work with & can squeeze on corners.

Also, dismount the power steering pump, leaving the lines attached. Unbolt the coolant tank for clearance. I raised the motor with a floor jack under the a/c compressor bracket.

Jeff N.
06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
BTW, the NAPA gasket is a beck-arnley part.

Pibbs
06-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Trevorg,

I've got a 1989 535i and had the same thing happen. Pulled out one morning and wondered where did all that oil come from. It was the pan gasket.\

I picked up my 535i three years ago from an elderly neighbor who no longer drove and who had it sitting in his garage for a couple of years. Had 74,000 miles on it and he gave me a helluva deal on it. Drained the fluids, replaced belts and hoses, the master cylinder, the tires and upgraded the sound system and absolutely love the car. Has it's foibles and problems (having a little steering play problem at present) but a great car with great style. Hope you enjoy yours!

I just got my car a couple days ago and I've lost maybe a half quart in 2 days just sitting in the garage. I'm glad to know at least that I'm not alone.