PDA

View Full Version : Center support

rockin1978TA
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Long story short. My 89 535I, the ujoint had locked up, and basically destroyed the center support bearing, causing a loud vibration. I pulled out the drive shaft, replaced it with what appeard to be a rebuilt unit , due to the u joints have clips on them and moved really good. The center support bearing looked new also. Took the car around the block after, could hear a loud ticking sound as the car would roll, then get progressivly louder . It went away after a bit, then came back when I went over a bump in the rod. The guy I bought it from asked if I pre loaded the bearing? Is this necessary and if so How do I do so? Due to the heat sheild, I can't see whats going on

whiskychaser
01-25-2010, 03:13 PM
The bolt holes in the bracket are elongated. Thats so you can adjust or 'pre-load' the prop. For pre-load read 'pull it towards the front a bit before you tighten the bolts'. Its in Bentleys somewhere. And Bentleys is in the house somewhere or I'd quote it for you. But thats essentially what it means:)

rockin1978TA
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I must of missed that part. I'll get the heatshield down, and hope it didn't break the bearing.

rockin1978TA
02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I drove the car 3 times last week, and first time went about 2 miles no noise, pulled it back in the garage and parked it. Day 2 drove the car got about 100 yds the car started making a loud banging sound from what seems to be the drive shaft parked it when it was still making the noise. Drove it yesterday, about 5 miles no noise till I turned the corner in my driveway. The driveshaft I replaced it with the front shaft was much larger in diameter than the one I removed. I found out from the guy I got it from that it came from an 92 535I. Do you think it might be hitting on the heat shield, and I need to put the 92 heat shield on? It's hard to diagnose with the heatsheild on, but seems like if I park it, the noise goes away, until the car gets hot, orI turn or go over a bump.

ahlem
02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
You should be able to see where it's banging on the heat shield when you remove it. You might have to customize it a bit with the hammer. You can jack up the rear end and rotate the wheels and see if you hear rubbing. You might be able to give the heat shield a wedgie somewhere or spacer washers and not have to tear the whole thing apart again.

rockin1978TA
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, turns out the driveshaft from an 92 and 89 are different. I just cut a little 1 inch section out of the heatshield where it was rubbing at the front of the driveshaft. I don't think that much heat will get up in there to cause to much problems. I've got a guy bringing heatsheild from the 92 so I can put on my 89. Runs good now.