PDA

View Full Version : Disable cold weather warning?

Rick L
01-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know how to disable the OBC cold weather warning when temperature is near freezing? Every time the warning sound, my passengers look at me like “what was that and what just failed on your car”? And sometimes, it scares me too! :p

shogun
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
at least you get some attention from your passengers ;)

Only possibility is probably to disconnect the gong/bong, or trick the outside temperature to show higher degrees, maybe some modifications required.
But I like it, it is as good info to drive careful, especially for black ice on bridges etc.

BennyM
01-19-2010, 12:17 AM
When I get a passenger reaction to the bong, I casually reply: "Oh that's just warning me that the engine is about to fall out."

Also, My passengers lately have been tearing out the ash trays in the rear doors, thinking they're the door handles. Anyone else experience this? I'm talking totally different carloads of people holding up the loose ash tray and saying "sorry I broke your door handle." Such a bizzare new phenomenon. I'm in the progress of putting lights in to illuminate the REAL handles.

Ross
01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
The outside temp sensor is a thermal resistor located next to the left fog light, yellow connector w/2 wires.
I think if the circuit is open (disconnected)it will read a very high temp.
You won't have an outdoor temp reading when desired but the gong will stop.
I don't know of a way to disable ONLY the audible warning short of killing the gong.

bubba966
01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
The outside temp sensor is a thermal resistor located next to the left fog light, yellow connector w/2 wires.
I think if the circuit is open (disconnected)it will read a very high temp.
You won't have an outdoor temp reading when desired but the gong will stop.
I don't know of a way to disable ONLY the audible warning short of killing the gong.

I thought that when you disconnect the sensor it reads -35 degrees. It'd bong all of the damn time if you did that.

Russell
01-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Every car should have such a warning. At 38 degrees ice can form on bridges/underpasses. I like being reminded of potential danger from icy roads.

Here in central Kentucky, we experiece the freeze-thaw cycle all winter long. So knowing when it approaches feezing is important.

BMWDriver
01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
It's a bit annoying though, when you live in a cold country like Canada where winter lasts months on end. It's like the car is telling you it's cold out. Well, I already know it's friggin' cold because I have to put on a frikkin' winter coat and boots, walk in the snow, scrape the frikkin' snow and ice off the windshield... take away the tons of snow off of it as I blow clouds of humidity out of my throat, as if I was a chain smoker.

Then I start the car, "bong". Why, it's cold out! Ooh, below 0 Celcius.... wow, big revelation there ! The snow and ice were a pretty damned good hint I think.

Anyhow, I just ignore it now, this being my fifth winter season with it. Still I head the warnings come spring or autumn. Would not want a false sense of security when driving off.

Rick L
01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Definitely don’t want to disconnect anything or lose outside temp info. I was hoping for some simple BMW programming that can be done but if not, I could live with. For BennyM, I have had few of those rear ash tray phenomenon too. :p

Ross
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I thought that when you disconnect the sensor it reads -35 degrees. It'd bong all of the damn time if you did that.

I stand corrected, you are right.
Substitute a resistor of a similar value to the sensor's impedance at a warm temperature then?
Maybe Shogun will have something from his high tech German buddies. Wait, all those euro guys LIKE the gong don't they?

Ross
01-20-2010, 09:55 AM
It's a bit annoying though, when you live in a cold country like Canada where winter lasts months on end. It's like the car is telling you it's cold out. Well, I already know it's friggin' cold because I have to put on a frikkin' winter coat and boots, walk in the snow, scrape the frikkin' snow and ice off the windshield... take away the tons of snow off of it as I blow clouds of humidity out of my throat, as if I was a chain smoker.

Then I start the car, "bong". Why, it's cold out! Ooh, below 0 Celcius.... wow, big revelation there ! The snow and ice were a pretty damned good hint I think.

Anyhow, I just ignore it now, this being my fifth winter season with it. Still I head the warnings come spring or autumn. Would not want a false sense of security when driving off.
I needed a laugh

shogun
01-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I stand corrected, you are right.
Substitute a resistor of a similar value to the sensor's impedance at a warm temperature then?
Maybe Shogun will have something from his high tech German buddies. Wait, all those euro guys LIKE the gong don't they?

yep, they like it, never read that someone disconnected it but all want to hear that 'sweat' sound.
Maybe your idea with a different resistor is the easiest. Electric experts to the front.

But I will keep my one original, I like the gong too, especially for other warnings such as lights on?

myles
01-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe you could wire in a resistor in series with the speaker in the gong so that the gong is quieter. It would make it less alarming. I have done something similar in my wife's car and it is much more subtle.

Ross
01-21-2010, 08:03 AM
yep, they like it, never read that someone disconnected it but all want to hear that 'sweat' sound.

Go figure. I have several well used gongs that you could have to give as gifts to your German friends if you like.
On topic I also would be interested to see an answer for Rick's question that would preserve the thermometer but silence the damn gong and eliminate the dash warning message.
As in Canada, we in Chicago know when it is cold outside.

Ross
01-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Maybe you could wire in a resistor in series with the speaker in the gong so that the gong is quieter. It would make it less alarming. I have done something similar in my wife's car and it is much more subtle.
One of the E34s that has passed through my hands actually had a rag wrapped around the gong and stuffed up under the dash.

whiskychaser
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I rather like the gong. Is there a list somewhere of when it should sound? I'd like to add the gong and a 'get some petrol you twerp' message to my display- she has been using my car and run it low on fuel:(

bmwrp8
01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Also, My passengers lately have been tearing out the ash trays in the rear doors, thinking they're the door handles. Anyone else experience this? I'm talking totally different carloads of people holding up the loose ash tray and saying "sorry I broke your door handle." Such a bizzare new phenomenon. I'm in the progress of putting lights in to illuminate the REAL handles.

hahaha I thought I was the only one:D always happens to me

Rick L
01-23-2010, 07:56 PM
That's a great idea. What kind of resister are you using?

myles
01-24-2010, 04:20 PM
To be honest, I'm not using a resistor, just a different speaker because the old one was busted. I've got an 8ohm speaker in there with a couple of bits or cardboard to make up for the size difference. I would assume that a little trial and error with a couple of different resistors would achieve the same thing.

tim eh?
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
HAHA BMWDriver U crack me up!

no kidding - oh jeez it's cold? 3'c is COLD? Maybe they should put a gong to warn you when it's getting dark too.

I think it would be fairly easy to rig up a potentiometer in line with the gong, then you would have volume control. (shrug?)