PDA

View Full Version : Aux fan..

Bo525i
01-17-2010, 03:57 PM
I did the bentley test and the aux fan ran when jumpering the wires and powered directly on both high and low! So I bought a new temperature switch and the fan is still dead as a doornail @ temp or with the air con on..

Relays perhaps?

whiskychaser
01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Cant remember what Bentleys says but this should help:
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_20.htm

bimmo_2007
01-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Happened to have similar issue. I replaced the temperature switch, but that didnt help. Eventually it turned to be faulty drying container pressure switch. I replaced the switch and the problem was gone. the fan now comes on at low speed whenever A/C is on. However I didnt test it at high speed.

Bo525i
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Good tip there bimmo, thanks Ill check that out!

@whisky: Thats precisely what bentley says but with the added pics :)

sal_park
01-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Hi,

Having been through this myself to some extent ( pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sal_park/1058765497/) ) Can I suggest the following:

1) your resistor may be dead (see above pic for location)

2) if your fan has not been running for a while it may be a bit corroded up and even though it's got power will not turn under it's own steam.

********** WARNING - PLEASE ONLY DO THE BELOW AT YOUR OWN RISK *******
(Seriously - this fan can bite - go on, ask me how I know ?:) )

With the engine running and the aircon on turn the fan by hand. I found that if I did this it would turn under it's own power for say 1/2 a turn and then 3/4 turn etc... For the next week or so, when ever I started / was about to stop the engine I gave the fan a quick turn if it was not turning it'self. I say if, but I got it wrong one day and tried to turn the fan with my finger while it was already turning. It may be plastic but it cut a piece out of my finger. Like I say, please take care.

Anyway, this got the fan working, but it was really noisey and died a month or so later. On the plus side the new fan is wisper quiet.

hth

sal

Bo525i
01-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the pointers Sal but.. It runs just fine @ both low and high when powered directly so its not corroded nor stuck and the resistor is working (otherwise it wouldn´t run at low when jumpering the wires ;) )