PDA

View Full Version : My ABS light came on and now there is a noise that won't stop even with car off

repenttokyo
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a weird noise coming from the front left side of the engine that won't stop even when the car is off. it sounds like a pump or something that is stuck on - what could it be? is it related to the ABS light? Help!

BMW4LIFE
01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
I have a weird noise coming from the front left side of the engine that won't stop even when the car is off. it sounds like a pump or something that is stuck on - what could it be? is it related to the ABS light? Help!

did you shut your car off with the heater or ac still on?!

sometimes when i do there is a little pumping noise that goes away when i shut it off

repenttokyo
01-12-2010, 12:16 AM
did you shut your car off with the heater or ac still on?!

sometimes when i do there is a little pumping noise that goes away when i shut it off

it was a loud loud sound under the hood. it lasted for over 10 minutes. i searched the board for an answer, and didn't find anything. I went back out with my mag light and found a box on the left side of the motor where the noise was coming from. I banged it with the maglight and the noise stopped. this also extinguished the abs light on the dash.

thoughts?

sal_park
01-12-2010, 03:57 AM
it was a loud loud sound under the hood. it lasted for over 10 minutes. i searched the board for an answer, and didn't find anything. I went back out with my mag light and found a box on the left side of the motor where the noise was coming from. I banged it with the maglight and the noise stopped. this also extinguished the abs light on the dash.

thoughts?

Sounds like the ABS pressure pump - I believe this is used to build up lost pressure in the brake system when the ABS is operating. I've not had cause to look at the ABS on my E34, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

repenttokyo
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
is it possible it stuck in the 'on' position?

Tiger
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I get thump thump thump noise after I shut off engine sometime.

I would reset your ABS by pulling the fuse or battery... and see if that reset the whole thing.

repenttokyo
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I get thump thump thump noise after I shut off engine sometime.

I would reset your ABS by pulling the fuse or battery... and see if that reset the whole thing.

after i banged it and it stopped, i turned it on and off and it didn't come back - i'm hoping i dislodged whatever was stuck on.

Tiger
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
It is possible the brake light switch is going bad... ABS get the trigger from the brake light switch.

bimmo_2007
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Sounds like the ABS pressure pump - I believe this is used to build up lost pressure in the brake system when the ABS is operating. I've not had cause to look at the ABS on my E34, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

+1

This could be the cause, there are number of valves inside the ABS pressure pump, you might had one of them stuck.

repenttokyo
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
+1

This could be the cause, there are number of valves inside the ABS pressure pump, you might had one of them stuck.

anything I should be worried about over the long term?

bimmo_2007
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
anything I should be worried about over the long term?

Not really-assuming faulty ABS pump-, however, if this occurs again, I'd suggest you flush the brake system, refill with the proper fluid, and do good bleeding.

Ross
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
seems like the ABS pump was running. It's electrically operated so I'd be searching for a stuck relay beginning under the black plastic cover on the ABS unit.

Ross
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
seems like the ABS pump was running. It's electrically operated so I'd be searching for a stuck relay beginning under the black plastic cover on the ABS unit. The pump relay is the one with 4 pins.

bimmo_2007
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
seems like the abs pump was running. It's electrically operated so i'd be searching for a stuck relay beginning under the black plastic cover on the abs unit. The pump relay is the one with 4 pins.

+1