PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake Kit options

mancini_mark
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone,

It's been a while. After a long hiatus, I have sent my 5er in to have a supercharged S52 dropped in. I think I'm going to love it all over again. The plan is autocross and track days with the BMW club, so I'm thinking brake upgrades now. I am looking for options for a front and rear kit.

I've been looking for the 840 4-pot brembos forever with no luck. Was hoping to pair those with the 540 rears (300x20 I think). So far, I have only found the K-sport and Ireland kits that have matching front and rear. Ireland is obviously cheaper.

Any other options? Anyone got some 840 calipers to sell me?

Thanks.

Mark

Tiger
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I think Bruno got something over there... using Wilwood 4 pot caliper... he had manufactured some brackets to make it work.

mancini_mark
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I remember that, and it came up again when I searched the forum. Unless I misread, I thought he had some trouble with that. Wasn't sure if that was still an option.

Tiger
01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
No... not that I know of. The only issue was getting the right master cylinder to compensate for the larger than usual brake piston surface area.

http://bmwe34.wetpaint.com/page/Brakes+mods

genphreak
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd use the 850 2 pot calipers (cheap) or go Willwood (expensive but new)... I think both need the 750 master cyl. The 540 fronts I put on the 525i seem a bit squishy, I don't know if the master cyl is needed to avoid this, but I am keen to find one to see!

Tiger
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
According to Bruno all E34 master cylinder is the same... I am not sure about this. Have you bleed the system well? I am sure you put in all new fluid or it is time for you to do so. Old fluid feels squishy.

Also, old grommet on master cylinder for the brake fluid also makes brake squishy.