PDA

View Full Version : m60 fault code 1213 ???

motuman
01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I have a 95' 540i/6 m-sport. Started getting check engine light about eight months ago, no engine symptoms just the light. Passed smog at the time, mileage and performance are great. Went away for 6 months and it's back. Check engine is mostly on at idle, mostly off at speed. After a couple days of check engine, the engine stated to idle rough. Not always, just intermittently. Roughness clears up at speed.

I did the big valve cover gasket, valley pan, intake man gasket, EGR service about 11K ago. Starting to smell oil leaking on the manifolds 2 months ago, haven't checked for oil on the coils yet.

I did the stomp test and I am reading the following fault code:

1213 - Lambda Control 2

This code is stored when the DME detects excessive
deviations in the air-fuel mixture (too rich or too lean) for longer
than 10 seconds. Possible causes: Fuel tank ran empty,
Incorrect Fuel Pressure, Injector valve defective or coked,
Engine Temperature Sensor defective, Secondary air leak,
Fuel evaporation control system defective, Air Flow Meter
defective and/or the combustion is being disturbed by
mechanical failure (Spark plugs,, compression,
intake/exhaust valves, ...etc.)

Has anyone seen this code before? Any suggestions where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks!

jofusfarr
01-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak, which triggers 1213/1212 codes and has greatest effects at idle.

Spray starter fluid/carb cleaner around the intake base, throttle body, etc. to try and see if you can get the engine to respond.

bubba966
01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Also check your MAF. Unplug the electrical connection on the MAF, start the car and note the idle. If the idle has improved then your MAF is bad, if the idle is the same the problem isn't the MAF.

Don't run the car for too long with the MAF unplugged. Only run it with the MAF unplugged to test the MAF real quick.

Tiger
01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
When you say EGR service... did you actually change the EGR?

motuman
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
When you say EGR service... did you actually change the EGR?

Yes, new EGR 11k ago, thanks.

632 Regal
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, new EGR 11k ago, thanks.

The EGR or cyclone valve has absolutely no use on my non cali engine, its just a rubber diaphragm that does nothing and a vacuum hose. On your engine it might have a purpose, they do fail at times for no apparent reason too. I know those codes all too well, intake leaks. You replaced the intake gaskets, did you also replace the front and rear plate gaskets? Im sure you did on the rear but the front? I finally got around to pulling the intake again to do the front plate gasket and saw it was leaking in 2 spots, one was less then half an inch and about an inch on the bottom corner, absolutely a different engine now, and NO codes in subzero weather. Good idle, just wish I did this all the first time.

motuman
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok, thanks everyone, looks like I found the intake leak.

The intake boot (between the air mass sensor and the manifold) is cracked on top. I thought I saw a little crack, pressed it with my thumb, and it just disintegrated and became a quarter size hole. I was able patch it nice and tight with duct tape, just until the new part arrives. Hope this is all it is, as it would sure be an easy fix....

Cars runs great now, but still got the check engine light once or twice after patching the leak. Do I need to clear that code? Or will it reset once the mixture is corrected?

632 Regal
01-11-2010, 12:09 AM
mine was all disintregated on the bottom where I couldn't see it, good spying!