PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck, about to buy some FCP ignition coils

ryan roopnarine
01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
for 129 and a supposed lifetime warranty i'll try them once. The equipment on my car is between 18 and 14 years old, and I need to do a freshening. Will report back. Even if i need to do a warranty swap, i still have at least 10 good coils in a box.

shogun
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
they have all kind of qualities. I thought till recently they only sell the cheap stuff, but I found now their online shop (not the Ebay one) and they even have Meyle and Behr etc.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/index-exec/sub_top_menu_item/by_make-by_model-by_year/by_make/5/by_model/1414/by_year/40

Tiger
01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I checked with Rockauto.com and they have coils for $52 to $64 each. I put in 1993 525i.

$30 each at FCP? Damn!

ryan roopnarine
01-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I checked with Rockauto.com and they have coils for $52 to $64 each. I put in 1993 525i.

$30 each at FCP? Damn!

I think they have the v8 set for about 160 with free shipping on ebay. the prices are lower there. I had to pay 10% extra to get the lifetime warranty.

632 Regal
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I think they have the v8 set for about 160 with free shipping on ebay. the prices are lower there. I had to pay 10% extra to get the lifetime warranty.

FCP=fcuking crappy parts, I experienced enough of their nonsense, Ryan I truly wish you the best!

BMW4LIFE
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
FCP=fcuking crappy parts, I experienced enough of their nonsense, Ryan I truly wish you the best!

+1 on the crappy parts!

and another thing...they might have a lifetime warranty but check out how long it will take to get your parts? will you have to pay for shipping? how long will be the labor to change them out...

it all adds up...

i dont know about you guys but for me id rather pay a little more now than a lot later...

my 2 cents

632 Regal
01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
+1 on the crappy parts!

and another thing...they might have a lifetime warranty but check out how long it will take to get your parts? will you have to pay for shipping? how long will be the labor to change them out...

it all adds up...

i dont know about you guys but for me id rather pay a little more now or a lot later...

my 2 cents

Exactly, 3 sets of control arms? I did get a final refund but what a waste of time. At least I got the replacement down to less than 45 min a side. :D

ryan roopnarine
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I certainly understand your sentiments, guys. I've had to shiatcan a thrust arm from them before. If it didn't take me no more than 7 minutes tops to change all 6 coils (and I didn't have a box of nominally working coils on standby) I wouldn't wander down this road. I might have to pay for return shipping, but if I can change em out every 25kmiles or so, when they invariably develop hairline cracks, at least twice, i'll eat the inconvenience.

632 Regal
01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I certainly understand your sentiments, guys. I've had to shiatcan a thrust arm from them before. If it didn't take me no more than 7 minutes tops to change all 6 coils (and I didn't have a box of nominally working coils on standby) I wouldn't wander down this road. I might have to pay for return shipping, but if I can change em out every 25kmiles or so, when they invariably develop hairline cracks, at least twice, i'll eat the inconvenience.

let us know how this works out, sometimes parts are parts.

Ross
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
FCP sent me an e-mail recently offering $20 off sales over $175, valid until 1/31.

ryan roopnarine
01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
FCP sent me an e-mail recently offering $20 off sales over $175, valid until 1/31.

thanks for the heads up, but I think that they came to under that amount, even with the "optional" lifetime warranty. these coils are about 250 miles away, and I am anxious to see what I'm working with. Will try to put pics up so you all can see what they offer.

BMW4LIFE
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM

that just like a crack dealer giving you a coupon for buy three rocks get one free....

always a lose-lose situation when it come with FCP....and crack;):D

shogun
01-14-2010, 01:13 AM
this was just posted on Bimmerboard E32 forum:
Bad Parts from FCP Groton? Here's your chance!
Author: geerhed Posted on: 2010-01-13

A user over on mye28.com was considering purchasing some ebay parts from seller FCP Groton. We did our best to talk him out of it. Somehow the CEO from FCP Groton got wind of the discussion and posted this to the site. Those of you who have had junk parts from this seller should take him up on his offer!

Quoted:

Guys,

I appreciate your input on our products. I just want to clarify one thing: FCP Groton is NOT a manufacturer. We are a parts supplier. We offer every brand including Lemforder, Meyle, Karlyn, Ocap, APA, Moog/TRW etc. About 2 years ago we had a really bad run with a company Hamburg Technic that produced inferior chassis and suspension parts. As soon as we recognized the issue, we removed all inventory from the shelves and started sourcing alternative brands and implementing stricter quality control measures. We even have a lifetime warranty program in place for all of our products. http://warranty.fcpgroton.com. You can even talk with our ASE tech directly at 877-634-0063 who has a big hand in our QC process.

BMWgiant, I would actually like to send you this control arm kit free of charge, so you can inspect the quality yourself. Anyone for that matter who has had a suspension piece fail or boot rip, I will gladly replace it even if it falls past the year warranty. You can email me at scottd@fcpgroton.com

Mods, I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate post and would be willing to sponsor the board if needed.

unquote

632 Regal
01-14-2010, 01:21 AM
keep them hungry, lifetime supply... 4 times was enough for me and I had to fight for a refund and not more warrantee FCP (****ingCrappyParts) my god the car is down empty waiting for more FCP? NO WAY will I try that again.

ryan roopnarine
01-29-2010, 03:34 PM
I picked up the coils about a week ago. Upon inspecting them, i detected an oily substance that was near some of the sealed junctions, and just about $hit a brick. I was about to call their customer service line for a rma today, but decided to go down to the autozone and pick up a packet of dielectric grease for comparison. the substance that looks like is oozing out of the coils, IMO, is more likely than not dielectric grease. I tested the impedance of the coils to see if there was any other issue, and all checked out at .4 ohm.

The body appears to be a bremi/bremi knockoff. The supplier, for whatever reason, has sprayed the iron part of the coil with cheap black paint, similar to what you might see when you buy a rebuilt part from an autoparts store. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is this item here.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/233152329/Coil_ignition.html

Check out the price on that! Minimum order 10, at 3 USD each! Perhaps a group buy is in order at some point. Customs duties might be a bitch, but if you can get them for under $10 including shipping and duties, that would be a hell of a deal. Mediocre chinese coils might not work as optimally as the bavarian autosport items, but if you can throw away coils at every inspection II, your car stays in top shape. It will be another week until I can put them on the car, so I will update this thread then.

BigKriss
01-29-2010, 10:51 PM
I doubt that price is right, all the bmw items there seem to be usd$2-3.

The body appears to be a bremi/bremi knockoff. The supplier, for whatever reason, has sprayed the iron part of the coil with cheap black paint, similar to what you might see when you buy a rebuilt part from an autoparts store. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is this item here.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/233152329/Coil_ignition.html

Check out the price on that! Minimum order 10, at 3 USD each! Perhaps a group buy is in order at some point. Customs duties might be a bitch, but if you can get them for under $10 including shipping and duties, that would be a hell of a deal. Mediocre chinese coils might not work as optimally as the bavarian autosport items, but if you can throw away coils at every inspection II, your car stays in top shape. It will be another week until I can put them on the car, so I will update this thread then.

Why would customs be a bitch? can you just ask the seller to send them as a gift?

genphreak
01-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Making a transaction in China is never a problem. Foreign exchange can be a bitch though. Shipping can be non-trivial (or trecherous).

To do business in China, even small business, is best done using family connections. Otherwise it will goes wrong the moment you hit a problem.

... and one often hits a problem ;)

You can get away with it via eBay (sometimes)... LOL!

Ryan, to save big $$$ just buy a second hand genuine set from someone with an M60. If you are putting them on an i6, measure them all and throw away the worst pair or keep a few spares. IMHO, they are either good or bad... (?)

The insulators are only like $2 from BMA- though a decent supply of coils seldom sees you short of insulators in cleanable, servicable condition.

I got a set for $40 off eBay once. They are on the shelf for when I need them. I have 20 'in service' on 3 motors- some have different part numbers, but (?) I think they are all the same. Not sure I'd mix them up though. Has anyone ever tried???