PDA

View Full Version : Racing Dynamics Sway bar ends

ahlem
12-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Are these replaceable with stock units? Good idea/Bad idea? Anyone have any good used ones for sale? I have a serious sway bar end clunking in both the front and rear of my car. The Racing Dynamics look a bit pricey. Should I use Heim Joints from a good industrial supply and make my own really cool ones?

Rick L
12-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Sway bar ends meaning the sway bar links? I think Racing Dynamics sway bar is much thicker so the links have larger hole size for the bushings. Are the bushings completely worn or have cracks?

Are these replaceable with stock units? Good idea/Bad idea? Anyone have any good used ones for sale? I have a serious sway bar end clunking in both the front and rear of my car. The Racing Dynamics look a bit pricey. Should I use Heim Joints from a good industrial supply and make my own really cool ones?

ahlem
12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Sway bar link rubber bushings are pretty shot. You can see the movement of the outer vs inner components. If I recall correctly, the links have threaded ends that go through holes in the sway bar. I'd have to crawl under the car and get salt snot all over me to check. There are pictures on Bavauto or Racing Dynamics web sites and realoem that I viewed from the comfort of my warm computer. We have pot hole overload around these parts and this is what happens to your sway bar assemblies.

BigKriss
12-30-2009, 11:00 AM
heim joints sound cool but i found them too noisy. i think you know the answer to your questions already

ahlem
12-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Actually I don't have the answer yet. If I had a set of original sway bar ends to compare to I would be good to go but they didn't come with the car. Anyone know? I don't want to buy the OEM parts to find they don't fit and then have to spend the big $ on Racing Dynamics parts.

BigKriss
12-31-2009, 08:05 AM
i have whiteline sways - i assume your sways are the same

front uses oem links
rear uses RD links or heim joints as the design of the bar is different from stock.

Actually I don't have the answer yet. If I had a set of original sway bar ends to compare to I would be good to go but they didn't come with the car. Anyone know? I don't want to buy the OEM parts to find they don't fit and then have to spend the big $ on Racing Dynamics parts.

Rick L
12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
From the picture of Racing Dynamics front sway bar kit, front links looks shorter than OEM links. But the photo shown might not be actual item for E34. And not sure longer links will effect performance in anyway.

ahlem
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Here's an update...
The front links were replaced with stock and stopped most of the rattling and banging. When I jacked up the car, the passenger side rear groaned quite a bit. I will have to dig deeper into that. I do notice a sense of rear end slop as I corner. The car has Koni adjustables and H&R springs and the Racing Dynamics swaybars. I have not checked the rear shock mounts to see if they have any issues.

BMW4LIFE
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Here's an update...
The front links were replaced with stock and stopped most of the rattling and banging. When I jacked up the car, the passenger side rear groaned quite a bit. I will have to dig deeper into that. I do notice a sense of rear end slop as I corner. The car has Koni adjustables and H&R springs and the Racing Dynamics swaybars. I have not checked the rear shock mounts to see if they have any issues.

Mine does that too...

i think its a couple of things and would love it if you guys chimed in

A) dog bones (pitman)
B) rear link
c) subframe bushings

hope that helps