PDA

View Full Version : Waterpump leaking..

Bo525i
12-25-2009, 08:24 PM
I´ve got a coolant leak around under the waterpump just where the gasket is supposed to be and of course some driplets further down as well!

So what to do, change the (working) thermostat as well while I´m at it or just the waterpump?

Is there anything about removing the vibration damper (to gain access to the 2 lower pump bolts) that could cause me problems or is it straight forward?

Any input will be greatly appreciated! :)

Tiger
12-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Thermostat housing if you still have factory plastic housing.

The vibration damper pulley is easy and mandatory to remove... all those little bolts.

philbyil
12-28-2009, 01:10 PM
It is an easy and straightforward job. I R&R'd my old water pump with a METAL impeller pump (don't buy a plastic impeller pump!), together with a new thermostat and an alloy thermostat cover.

I´ve got a coolant leak around under the waterpump just where the gasket is supposed to be and of course some driplets further down as well!

So what to do, change the (working) thermostat as well while I´m at it or just the waterpump?

Is there anything about removing the vibration damper (to gain access to the 2 lower pump bolts) that could cause me problems or is it straight forward?

Any input will be greatly appreciated! :)

genphreak
12-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Any input will be greatly appreciated! :)Not a whole lot to it- Don't untighten the damper bolts the wrong way as the torque from your wrench will 'stretch' the damper and easily break it... don't ask me how I know that one :(

It may be worth replacing as they are a wear item- but I've never seen a bad one :)

Inspect the belt bearings for wear or (more likely) damage, make sure each have their protective covers installed too. Clean off the crank and cam sensors- and make sure the wires are well routed... nnow I'm really scratching the bottom of the barrell.. (reverse clean the radiator fins with a high pressure hose maybe?)... LOL

Bo525i
01-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys! :)

dont need to remove the damper altho it will save time with one of the waterpump bolts. I think you only get 1/32 of a turn at a time with a wrench til its loose enough to turn with your fingers. Make sure the pipe running to the back of the engine dont pull off the back end or you could have a bigger job ahead of you. Pull easy and keep an eye on them pipes!