PDA

View Full Version : Impact of 15% ethanol on e34s?

Russell
12-15-2009, 08:10 AM
As many of you know the US EPA is considering mandating(?) 15% ethanol in fuels, perhaps in late 2010.

Politics aside, what would be the impact of 15% ethanol on our e34s?

EPA is testing only a very small number of newer vehicles and is initially saying that 2001 and newer vehicles NOT should experience any issues. What about older vehicles. Another way to get older vehicles off the road??

Tiger
12-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Ethanol attracts water and water rust out almost everything.

Aside from water, the octane rating is higher or lower (I can't remember) than gas even though the rating is still 87, 89 or 93 but our car can't burn them as well as it could... result? Fuel mileage drops... and that is typical because EPA already account for 5% ethanol and that is why the Cty/Hwy rating doesn't seem to be going up... and they reset all older cars lower.

With 15% ethanol? Even lower and we pay more per mile. Ethanol is stupid and I wish they pull their head out of their ass and force US manufacturers to improve their engine efficiency... If everyone else can do it, why can't US car makers?

That's why we drive BMWs!

Bo525i
12-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Not to mention that ethanol costs more energy to manufacture than it returns..

Ross
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Not to mention that ethanol costs more energy to manufacture than it returns..
ah, yes. But think of the warm fuzzy feeling you'll get knowing you've helped to pay for some farmer's half million dollar harvester.
Ethanol has less energy, expect fuel mileage to decrease, again.

Ross
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Ethanol attracts water and water rust out almost everything.

Aside from water, the octane rating is higher or lower (I can't remember) than gas even though the rating is still 87, 89 or 93 but our car can't burn them as well as it could... result? Fuel mileage drops... and that is typical because EPA already account for 5% ethanol and that is why the Cty/Hwy rating doesn't seem to be going up... and they reset all older cars lower.

With 15% ethanol? Even lower and we pay more per mile. Ethanol is stupid and I wish they pull their head out of their ass and force US manufacturers to improve their engine efficiency... If everyone else can do it, why can't US car makers?

That's why we drive BMWs!

Engine efficiency HAS dramatically improved. The problem is "cars" weigh so damn much.
Conservation is the simple answer. $4/gl. didn't do it so expect things to get worse before folks realize that conspicuous consumption is a bad thing.

Tiger
12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
We are also at a breakpoint for electric car too. If fuel is so expensive, we jump into diesel, hybrid and all electric with backup generator. Audi got an exciting car coming out... it is practically a supercar.

I'd probably end up buying an electric car in near future.

Rick L
12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Doesn't ethanol have much higher octane? And cars that can use or converted to use E85 has better fuel mileage and more power than 93 octane gasoline? Or am I missing something here?

Interceptor
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Tiger: E60 weighs almost the same as the E34, has improved aerodynamics and engines with improved fuel efficiency. The biggest problem in the US are soccer moms in SUVs.

Rick L: Ethanol HAS higher octane rating but lower calorific value. It means that ethanol resists pinging better but it's detonation has less energy. Basically, you have to burn more ethanol to achieve the same energy = completely defies the purpose...

Tiger
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I did a fueleconomy.gov comparison...

2010 BMW 550i (V8) 15/23
1995 BMW 540i (V8) 15/21
2010 BMW 535i (I6) 17/26

Tell me, how is it "much" better? Yeah the displacement is different, but the fuel expense is practically the same. Say you buy a good E34 and spent $5000 premium... and buy a new 2010 550i for $60,000+ or even 2010 535i for $51,000+ for a marginal fuel economy improvement and a huge car loan to pay off?

15 years of engineering advance for a marginal 2 MPG or even 5MPG improvement?

Yes, BMW is a luxury car... luxury emphasized.

Rick L
12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
So with Ethanol, you will get less mileage/km per gallon/liter?

Tiger: E60 weighs almost the same as the E34, has improved aerodynamics and engines with improved fuel efficiency. The biggest problem in the US are soccer moms in SUVs.

Rick L: Ethanol HAS higher octane rating but lower calorific value. It means that ethanol resists pinging better but it's detonation has less energy. Basically, you have to burn more ethanol to achieve the same energy = completely defies the purpose...

Tiger
12-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Yep. I read that too... lower caloric power.. meaning less power and that means lower fuel mileage. If we had the original fuel from the late 80's our car would run extra +4 MPG... or something like that.