PDA

View Full Version : GAS/OCTANE question

tbrown540
06-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Where I live, (Sapporo, Japan) I buy high octane gas, or "high oc" as they call it here, but the actual octane rating is not lsted on the pumps. I am used to it being posted on the pumps like in the states. Since I am getting a chip, I was curious what the actual rating was. I asked the manager of the station (Mobil) and he did not know, but said he would check it out and give me a call. Today he called me and told me...are you sitting down?...
99.5! First reaction was of course, a full-on robotic chubby, but then after the swelling went down I started thinking ( a dangerous proposition, I know) and became more than a little skeptical. The highest I ever remember seeing in the states was 94 at a regular station.

Is this even possible, or is it just like so many other things the Japanese have a different way of measuring octane? What do you think?

BTW- "high oc" is 120 yen per liter right now but was steady at 110 a liter for the last six months.

MarkD
06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Where I live, (Sapporo, Japan) I buy high octane gas, or "high oc" as they call it here, but the actual octane rating is not lsted on the pumps. I am used to it being posted on the pumps like in the states. Since I am getting a chip, I was curious what the actual rating was. I asked the manager of the station (Mobil) and he did not know, but said he would check it out and give me a call. Today he called me and told me...are you sitting down?...
99.5! First reaction was of course, a full-on robotic chubby, but then after the swelling went down I started thinking ( a dangerous proposition, I know) and became more than a little skeptical. The highest I ever remember seeing in the states was 94 at a regular station.

Is this even possible, or is it just like so many other things the Japanese have a different way of measuring octane? What do you think?

BTW- "high oc" is 120 yen per liter right now but was steady at 110 a liter for the last six months.

Almost all the world uses the RON rating system, except North America.
RON numbers are about 4 higher then the equivalent AKI number.

98 RON = ~ 94 AKI
95 RON = ~ 91 AKI
91 RON = ~ 87 AKI

So it's possible that the 99.5 may be 95 AKI.

By the way, I have a few people that are very happy with my chips in Japan. One of them bought a chip for his M50 E34 over 2 years ago, and then ordered one for his E34 M5.

Mark

Tiger
06-11-2004, 07:56 AM
$1.09 for high octane? U are lucky! However, you food bill is not... hehehe

David Chen
06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Multiply that price 4X because it's only for a LITER.

And who says you can't eat cheap in Japan? On a business trip there a few years ago, I had a $6 breakfast followed by a $250 business lunch followed by a $5 bowl of noodles for supper. First time I've ever seen take-out food that was gift-wrapped.

Cheers,

David

$1.09 for high octane? U are lucky! However, you food bill is not... hehehe

tbrown540
06-12-2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the info Mark. I actually plan to be one of your next happy customers in Japan. I just got to pull off the cover of the DME and e-mail you back.