PDA

View Full Version : A Rather Interesting Poll!

BMW4LIFE
12-13-2009, 03:54 AM
which of these would be the best bang for the buck, most fun to drive, most reliable, easiest to maintain, and cheapest to maintain

bmwrp8
12-13-2009, 08:51 AM
which of these would be the best bang for the buck, most fun to drive, most reliable, easiest to maintain, and cheapest to maintain

Intersting post indeed! I want em all!:D

BMW4LIFE
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
3 way tie?!?!?!?!

Now you wonder why I posted this poll! ;)

632 Regal
12-14-2009, 11:27 PM
3 way tie?!?!?!?!
;)
2 way now ;)

BMW4LIFE
12-15-2009, 01:56 AM
2 way now ;)

e34 M5 huh...interesting choice indeed...may i ask as to what your logically reasoning behind your choice is? =)

bubba966
12-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Shoulda had a '95 540i M-Sport or '95 M540i in the poll. Fits nicely in the criteria you provided, except "cheapest to maintain" when you eventually need to replace the shocks. The EDC's on an M-Sport/M540 are a bit spendy. Otherwise it's cheap to maintain. It'll out track the E34 M5 & E39 540. It'll keep pace with the E46 M3. And it won't be too far behind the E39 M5. They're not too spendy to pick up, if you can find one.

Tiger
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Anything M cost a fortune... Just the parts alone are far more costly than any regular BMW.

BMW4LIFE
12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Shoulda had a '95 540i M-Sport or '95 M540i in the poll. Fits nicely in the criteria you provided, except "cheapest to maintain" when you eventually need to replace the shocks. The EDC's on an M-Sport/M540 are a bit spendy. Otherwise it's cheap to maintain. It'll out track the E34 M5 & E39 540. It'll keep pace with the E46 M3. And it won't be too far behind the E39 M5. They're not too spendy to pick up, if you can find one.

yea i like them too...but they are almost impossible to find! =/

i think the e39 540i seems to be the most REALISTIC choice out of all of them even though im tempted by the e34 M5 ;):D

bubba966
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM
yea i like them too...but they are almost impossible to find! =/

Only hard to find if you want specific color & tranny combos. I'm sure you could find one for sale somewhere in the country within the hour if you didn't care one way or the other about colors or options.

I was specific about what I wanted in an M-Sport. And it took me 2 1/2 years to find one that pretty much fit (I'll retrofit the shadowline & seat heating at some point to have exactly what I wanted).

I'd actually given up after 2 years and started looking for a '99-'01 740i Sport. But couldn't find one in an acceptable configuration. After 6 months of looking for the right E38 I came across the M-Sport & bought it immediately.

Nearly 3 years now I've had it and still love it. Really glad I hadn't bought something else before the M-Sport. Would take it any day over my buddies '93 M5. He even envies most aspects of my M-Sport... :D

bubba966
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh, and last I looked a set of 4 EDC shocks runs about $5,500 from Tischer BMW. Like I said, the EDC's aren't cheap. But it's such a sweet setup. And my fronts lasted 170k before they crapped out. Rears are still fine at 182k. So at least you don't need to replace them all that often...

Rick L
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I was looking for similar cars about 5 years ago. E46 M3, E39 M5, and E39 540i Sport. I test drove many and I liked them all but at the end I decided to purchase E46 M3. Interior is not as refine as E39 but E46 interior isn't too bad. Just bit flimsy feel. I liked the body style of E46 M3 the best. But looks wasn't the main reason why I purchased the E46 M3. After driving it, I was hooked. It is a blast to drive fast. Can't help myself still to this date. ;) If you drive slow everytime then this car isn't for you. And the drivetrain is built like a tank. I couldn't tell you how many times I push this car but it keeps taking it without complaint. I have even missed a gear one time (OH THE MONEY SHIFT) and accidently slammed it into first instead of third @ 8000 RPM!!! Needless to say that everything is all good and nothing broken. If I would have done that to standard 540i, I would have definitely broken something! And the best thing about it is that maintenance is not high as people think. It is very reasonable. It has also been extremely reliable even with my burst of abuse during 4 years of ownership. And if you like to mod your car, E46 M3 is the car for you. You can find just about everything from A to Z. But don't let my bias feeling persuade you but take one for a test drive. :)

BMW4LIFE
12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
I was looking for similar cars about 5 years ago. E46 M3, E39 M5, and E39 540i Sport. I test drove many and I liked them all but at the end I decided to purchase E46 M3. Interior is not as refine as E39 but E46 interior isn't too bad. Just bit flimsy feel. I liked the body style of E46 M3 the best. But looks wasn't the main reason why I purchased the E46 M3. After driving it, I was hooked. It is a blast to drive fast. Can't help myself still to this date. ;) If you drive slow everytime then this car isn't for you. And the drivetrain is built like a tank. I couldn't tell you how many times I push this car but it keeps taking it without complaint. I have even missed a gear one time (OH THE MONEY SHIFT) and accidently slammed it into first instead of third @ 8000 RPM!!! Needless to say that everything is all good and nothing broken. If I would have done that to standard 540i, I would have definitely broken something! And the best thing about it is that maintenance is not high as people think. It is very reasonable. It has also been extremely reliable even with my burst of abuse during 4 years of ownership. And if you like to mod your car, E46 M3 is the car for you. You can find just about everything from A to Z. But don't let my bias feeling persuade you but take one for a test drive. :)

so I do have to say that I LOVE THE M3!!!!

BUT...the problem with an M is that it = MONEY...it should be called MM3

Mucho Money 3 but then again thats what i hear...granted i feel that its all about who is doing the up keep and how crazy you like to drive

now i want an M3 but the problem is the valve adjustment for me...I can do a lot on cars but the two things that I stay away from are...Engine and Tranny! (both kinds of trannies if you get my drift! ;)) haha

but yea I have a feeling that the M3 will be a car that I can just throw around and love every second of it but i am just afraid as to when something does break...its gonna cost me my soul!

as far as test driving goes...I cant do that...because I will want it right then and there and that wont fly becaue I am not sure where in teh states i will land in the next year or so...

but I do have to say that I have considered it for a while now

oh another problem with the M3 is that I would only purchase the 2003.5 - 2005 as the 01 and 02 had issues with the engines, as i am sure you already know

but i do have to say i have already picked the color i want!

White on cinnamon...oooooooo that sounds soooo sexy!:D

Rick L
12-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Other than usual maintenance like fluid change, I haven't put any money into the car other than cosmetic upgrade (new 19" rims and such). Only issue I had during 4 years of onwership was the oil pressure valve and the differential seal. I noticed little bit of engine oil drops in my garage. I guess there is a little valve to release pressure from engine and if bad, it will leak oil from it. Since my car was under warranty, both was taken care of at the dealership. But those parts probably only cost $50 total anyways if you wanted to replace yourself. And I didn't even know rear differential was leaking as there were no oil drops in the rear of the car. Maybe dealer is looking for anything they could find to replace to make money. Yes, early year models had rod bearing issue but it was covered under factory recall and they even extended warranty to engine. Funny, you mentioned that you are avoiding 2001 - 2003 year models but if you look at reliability record for E46 M3 for USA model from 2001 to 2006, 2001 is listed as most reliable. SMG wasn't available in 2001 though. Later models had vanos issues, so I heard. But newer models do have few improvements like front strut bar, LED tail lights, and newer radio. And I do agree! White on cinnamon is sooo sexy! :D

so I do have to say that I LOVE THE M3!!!!

BUT...the problem with an M is that it = MONEY...it should be called MM3

Mucho Money 3 but then again thats what i hear...granted i feel that its all about who is doing the up keep and how crazy you like to drive

now i want an M3 but the problem is the valve adjustment for me...I can do a lot on cars but the two things that I stay away from are...Engine and Tranny! (both kinds of trannies if you get my drift! ;)) haha

but yea I have a feeling that the M3 will be a car that I can just throw around and love every second of it but i am just afraid as to when something does break...its gonna cost me my soul!

as far as test driving goes...I cant do that...because I will want it right then and there and that wont fly becaue I am not sure where in teh states i will land in the next year or so...

but I do have to say that I have considered it for a while now

oh another problem with the M3 is that I would only purchase the 2003.5 - 2005 as the 01 and 02 had issues with the engines, as i am sure you already know

but i do have to say i have already picked the color i want!

White on cinnamon...oooooooo that sounds soooo sexy!:D

BMW4LIFE
12-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Other than usual maintenance like fluid change, I haven't put any money into the car other than cosmetic upgrade (new 19" rims and such). Only issue I had during 4 years of onwership was the oil pressure valve and the differential seal. I noticed little bit of engine oil drops in my garage. I guess there is a little valve to release pressure from engine and if bad, it will leak oil from it. Since my car was under warranty, both was taken care of at the dealership. But those parts probably only cost $50 total anyways if you wanted to replace yourself. And I didn't even know rear differential was leaking as there were no oil drops in the rear of the car. Maybe dealer is looking for anything they could find to replace to make money. Yes, early year models had rod bearing issue but it was covered under factory recall and they even extended warranty to engine. Funny, you mentioned that you are avoiding 2001 - 2003 year models but if you look at reliability record for E46 M3 for USA model from 2001 to 2006, 2001 is listed as most reliable. SMG wasn't available in 2001 though. Later models had vanos issues, so I heard. But newer models do have few improvements like front strut bar, LED tail lights, and newer radio. And I do agree! White on cinnamon is sooo sexy! :D

man it sounds like you know your M3...if i ever REALLY consider buying the M would you mind if i call you so that we can chat regarding what to look for and all that good stuff?

another question...my cousin has a dealer license so we can go to auction to buy the car...would you ever buy it from an auction? granted all dealers do that...and he has been doing this whole buy sell thing for the past 20 years so i trust him...all of his family drives BMW and Benz so i trust his german car knowledge

as far as the 2001 goes...I hate SMG so it would be the good old clutch for me...which i love but i am not too concerned regarding the LED as i can always buy that off ebay and still say a bundle...I hear the navigation sucks so i would upgrade that to a pioneer elite or something....

the sway bar....Ahhhh maybe Dinan?! ;):D

another problem i am worried about is the engines life expectancy

any info on that?

Rick L
12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Sure, you can call me if you have question(s) regarding E46 M3.

I'm always wary about car auctions but many dealers do buy cars from auctions. But on a performace car, I would want to drive it first to make sure all is good. I have looked around and test drove many before purchasing my car. Hard to explain but there were many that didn't drive well. This also goes for many E39 M5 I test drove. Some had sluggish acceleration. Forum information stated that it might be MAF sensor but I couldn't purchase a car at these prices not knowing why it was sluggish or somekind of unknown reason for why it just didn't feel right. And also when I was looking for one, there were so many M cars that had some kind of body work done. Maybe the reason why they are up for sale...? But if your cousin has an eye for these things and know what to look for, I guess you can pickup a nice car at great price. For me, I just knew when I test drove my car that the mechanics were 100%. And of course being almost perfect cosmetic condition was another selling point.

I test drove several SMG and I like it. But at the end I chose a clutch pedal. I enjoy that mechanical feel of things. But I do have to warn you that E46 M3 6-speed manual make this slight clunk noise going from 1st when you press in the clutch. The "M" clunk... They all do this. Some more notable than others. On my car, it is barely noticeable but it's there. But if this bugs you then you need to go with SMG.

Yeah, BMW NAVI is useless. If you need a NAVI, get a Garmin! But they do look more modern in the car even though you will most likely not use it. Friend of mind has Kenwood NAVI stereo and it works good but I prefer the clean factory look.

S54 and S62 do require periodic valve adjustments. My car was done during rod bearing recall but coming soon for another recommended check and adjustment. But for something like this, it's best to find local BMW enthusiast indy shop than BMW dealer. Forums are the best place to find one in your location.

Engine life expectancy of these cars are difficult to say. I have seen several near 200k miles but that's very rare to see. Most M cars on the market tend to have low mileage. I don't drive my M3 all year round. It is stored for winters and usually out only on sunny days. Just turned 56k miles. But I'm sure if you take care of it, it will last.

man it sounds like you know your M3...if i ever REALLY consider buying the M would you mind if i call you so that we can chat regarding what to look for and all that good stuff?

another question...my cousin has a dealer license so we can go to auction to buy the car...would you ever buy it from an auction? granted all dealers do that...and he has been doing this whole buy sell thing for the past 20 years so i trust him...all of his family drives BMW and Benz so i trust his german car knowledge

as far as the 2001 goes...I hate SMG so it would be the good old clutch for me...which i love but i am not too concerned regarding the LED as i can always buy that off ebay and still say a bundle...I hear the navigation sucks so i would upgrade that to a pioneer elite or something....

the sway bar....Ahhhh maybe Dinan?! ;):D

another problem i am worried about is the engines life expectancy

any info on that?

BMW4LIFE
12-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Sure, you can call me if you have question(s) regarding E46 M3.

I'm always wary about car auctions but many dealers do buy cars from auctions. But on a performace car, I would want to drive it first to make sure all is good. I have looked around and test drove many before purchasing my car. Hard to explain but there were many that didn't drive well. This also goes for many E39 M5 I test drove. Some had sluggish acceleration. Forum information stated that it might be MAF sensor but I couldn't purchase a car at these prices not knowing why it was sluggish or somekind of unknown reason for why it just didn't feel right. And also when I was looking for one, there were so many M cars that had some kind of body work done. Maybe the reason why they are up for sale...? But if your cousin has an eye for these things and know what to look for, I guess you can pickup a nice car at great price. For me, I just knew when I test drove my car that the mechanics were 100%. And of course being almost perfect cosmetic condition was another selling point.

I test drove several SMG and I like it. But at the end I chose a clutch pedal. I enjoy that mechanical feel of things. But I do have to warn you that E46 M3 6-speed manual make this slight clunk noise going from 1st when you press in the clutch. The "M" clunk... They all do this. Some more notable than others. On my car, it is barely noticeable but it's there. But if this bugs you then you need to go with SMG.

Yeah, BMW NAVI is useless. If you need a NAVI, get a Garmin! But they do look more modern in the car even though you will most likely not use it. Friend of mind has Kenwood NAVI stereo and it works good but I prefer the clean factory look.

S54 and S62 do require periodic valve adjustments. My car was done during rod bearing recall but coming soon for another recommended check and adjustment. But for something like this, it's best to find local BMW enthusiast indy shop than BMW dealer. Forums are the best place to find one in your location.

Engine life expectancy of these cars are difficult to say. I have seen several near 200k miles but that's very rare to see. Most M cars on the market tend to have low mileage. I don't drive my M3 all year round. It is stored for winters and usually out only on sunny days. Just turned 56k miles. But I'm sure if you take care of it, it will last.

thanks for the offer RICK i might take you up on that if i ever get serious!

as far as the auction goes...he told me that he gets them a couple thousand below trade in value...but on the other hand...my dad is notorious at bargining so i might just take him along and have them take down to trade which is worth it for me to get a dealer to check it all for me...please me looking for a white on cinnamon seems to be a pain in the ass...seems like they only made a very limited number and all the ones ive seen are sooooo expensive! BASTARDS! haha

As far as the clunk and the SMG goes...well one thing is i think BMW discountinued SMG for a reason so im going to stay away from that...and you really cant fix them from what i hear so they are out...i like the whole 6 speed thing and havent heard the clunk yet to see if it bothers me or not but i am sure the 6 is more reliable than the SMG...not too sure though...what do you think?

as far as the navi goes...ill take the BMW one as i feel that it looks awesome but i want one that works...that will be a last upgrade on th car

the valve adjustments do scare me though...im sure they are soooo expensive and that really the only thing that turns me off to the M3 and on to the E39 540i sport

i think im over the e39 M5 as i read up some stuff and they seem to be soooo expensive to upkeep

the E34 seems to need valve adjustments as well :(

im soo confused! :(

Rick L
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Sure, glad to help out another BimmerNut enthusiast. :)

Not sure where you heard that the BMW discontinued SMG but they still make SMG. Yes, SMG II (ones found in E46 M3) is discontinued but newer version of SMG is used in E60 M5 and E90/E92 M3. I have heard from M3 forum that the SMG hydraulic pump can fail. Yes, I feel the same. Manual 6-speed would be more reliable than the SMG. Anything from software glitch to hydraulic system can fail and leave you stranded. :(

There is reason why M cars require valve adjustment. I can’t imagine high revving race engines using hydraulic valves. Engine is designed this way for durability. As I mentioned earlier with my missed shift to 1st from going into 3rd at 8,000 rpm, if I would have done that on a standard 540i, those hydraulic valves would have not kept up with the rpm and surely broken the engine. Guys here with 3.5 engines are familiar with valve adjustment and the cost isn’t bad. I would like to learn to do it myself. It looks easy but time consuming. If the cost of maintenance is your major concern, 2003 540i Sport might be the best choice. But they are also very rare to find one up for sale.

thanks for the offer RICK i might take you up on that if i ever get serious!

as far as the auction goes...he told me that he gets them a couple thousand below trade in value...but on the other hand...my dad is notorious at bargining so i might just take him along and have them take down to trade which is worth it for me to get a dealer to check it all for me...please me looking for a white on cinnamon seems to be a pain in the ass...seems like they only made a very limited number and all the ones ive seen are sooooo expensive! BASTARDS! haha

As far as the clunk and the SMG goes...well one thing is i think BMW discountinued SMG for a reason so im going to stay away from that...and you really cant fix them from what i hear so they are out...i like the whole 6 speed thing and havent heard the clunk yet to see if it bothers me or not but i am sure the 6 is more reliable than the SMG...not too sure though...what do you think?

as far as the navi goes...ill take the BMW one as i feel that it looks awesome but i want one that works...that will be a last upgrade on th car

the valve adjustments do scare me though...im sure they are soooo expensive and that really the only thing that turns me off to the M3 and on to the E39 540i sport

i think im over the e39 M5 as i read up some stuff and they seem to be soooo expensive to upkeep

the E34 seems to need valve adjustments as well :(

im soo confused! :(