PDA

View Full Version : Don´t rely on your fuel gauge..

Bo525i
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Or the OBC to accurately indicate how much fuel you have..

I found out doing it the hard way as a test, ran it near dry and left it for the night: OBC said 3.9l left and a range of 37 kms, Gauge was lit in reserve but not totally bottomed out!

Following morning, no start.. checked under the fuelpump/sender to see how much was in there: Not 4l but far less and the fuel feed line was dry as a bone, not a drop not even vapor :D So I poured in 5l and voila.. Started with no probs after 2 attempts.

So be careful when you´re running in reserve, get it refueled before you´re left with only 5l according to the gauge or obc.

bmwrp8
12-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Or the OBC to accurately indicate how much fuel you have..

I found out doing it the hard way as a test, ran it near dry and left it for the night: OBC said 3.9l left and a range of 37 kms, Gauge was lit in reserve but not totally bottomed out!

Following morning, no start.. checked under the fuelpump/sender to see how much was in there: Not 4l but far less and the fuel feed line was dry as a bone, not a drop not even vapor :D So I poured in 5l and voila.. Started with no probs after 2 attempts.

So be careful when you´re running in reserve, get it refueled before you´re left with only 5l according to the gauge or obc.

+1 happen to me also

Ferret
12-15-2009, 05:48 AM
I dont usually let mine get to the reserve light! One of the fuel pumps is going bad and I dont want to excessively stress it out!