PDA

View Full Version : uh oh....left over parts

BennyM
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM
So, I took out the trunk button assembly to clean and grease it and when I put it back together, I still had a tiny spring and a super tiny ball bearing on my work table. Can anyone remember where those two miniscule items go? The button seems to work fine without them, but I'm sure there's a good reason for these little pieces.

632 Regal
12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
So, I took out the trunk button assembly to clean and grease it and when I put it back together, I still had a tiny spring and a super tiny ball bearing on my work table. Can anyone remember where those two miniscule items go? The button seems to work fine without them, but I'm sure there's a good reason for these little pieces.

I remember a spring but no ball.... might want to rebuild it again but this time with no grease. :(

BennyM
12-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I remember a spring but no ball.... might want to rebuild it again but this time with no grease. :(

The spring was about half the size of what you'd find in a ballpoint pen. Is that the one you remember?

I do plan to rebuild it, since I damaged one of the plastic grommet things too. What should I use instead of grease?

Bo525i
12-09-2009, 04:15 AM
Is this the ball and spring, from inside the lockbarrel?

BennyM
12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I can't get a good idea of scale in that pic, but I think the spring I have is quite a bit shorter. That definitely looks nothing like my trunk button assembly. Thanks for the attempt, though.

BennyM

Is this the ball and spring, from inside the lockbarrel?

Bo525i
12-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Actually the pic is of a front door lock barrel thats why the proportions are mismatched :) Did you take the lock apart? If you did the spring and ball goes inside the barrel in a similar position!
Check this for hints: http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/18/door-lock-barrel-replacement.

If you didnīt take the lock apart Iīm bewildered too.. :)

BennyM
12-13-2009, 12:29 AM
I took apart the outer lock that, which consists mainly of a larger spring, maybe an inch in diameter. I did not take apart the inner lock cylinder/silver button, which is where I assume a tiny spring and ball like that would go.

Actually the pic is of a front door lock barrel thats why the proportions are mismatched :) Did you take the lock apart? If you did the spring and ball goes inside the barrel in a similar position!
Check this for hints: http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/18/door-lock-barrel-replacement.

If you didnīt take the lock apart Iīm bewildered too.. :)

632 Regal
12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
my goodness I thought you were talking about the trunk key lock, no wonder I had no idea what this was...

gale
12-16-2009, 03:22 AM
If you take something apart enough times, pretty soon you'll have enough left over parts to make 2 of them.