PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had any problem bleeding the clutch?

Mordan
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Hello,

We tried to bleed the clutch as the pedal feels spongy at times. But the funny thing is no fluid is coming out! :(. We did the usual 2 persons bleeding procedure.

Anyone had this issue before?

whiskychaser
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Either there is air in the system or fluid is getting past the seals. You will certainly notice fluid loss. Bleed nipple clogged?

Mordan
12-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Either there is air in the system or fluid is getting past the seals. You will certainly notice fluid loss. Bleed nipple clogged?

the bleed nipple is like new. not a single drop of fluid loss. It is totally bizarre.
I first did it alone and then went to a mechanics with a pit for a clear view. He couldn't either. I'm puzzled that's why I'm asking maybe one of you already had this puzzle.

To bleed, engine is off and reservoir cap is screwed right?

The car still drives and shifts fine

whiskychaser
12-05-2009, 11:57 AM
This might help:
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Transmission/Clutch_hydraulic.htm

Mordan
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
a shop told me it is the clogged slave cylinder that is leaking inside the trans. hopefully not expensive and easy DIY job

Ross
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
a shop told me it is the clogged slave cylinder that is leaking inside the trans. hopefully not expensive and easy DIY job
Impossible. The slave's bleeder screw is plugged or the port it covers is full of rust.
remove the bleeder entirely, check the hole on side of the screw and clear the port it covers with a piece of wire.

Ferret
12-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Impossible. The slave's bleeder screw is plugged or the port it covers is full of rust.
remove the bleeder entirely, check the hole on side of the screw and clear the port it covers with a piece of wire.

Yeah, I had the same thing on a mates 520i - had to take the bleed screw right out and unblock everything with bits of wire. Just age and crud had gotten to it.

It should gravity bleed without the need to pump the pedal.