PDA

View Full Version : thrust arm bushing f**c**d up

edward
11-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey guys,

Just had Canadian Tire press in a new bushing in my brand new upper control
arm(thrust arm). They pressed it in crooked and its all cock eyed. They say they can't fix it and that an alignment will compensate for it.

I don't agree but there are no dealerships open here today to confirm this with. To me this seems pretty critical to keep caster, camber, and toe correct, and I know bloody well that there alignment just adjusts the toe.

Any input would be appreciated, I am just about ready to go postal!

Thanks,

Edward

Dave M
11-21-2009, 10:57 AM
As you know, you'll be stressing the bushing and it won't last as long. It will likely drive fine, but it just won't last. Funny, last time I asked CT to do something (install springs on honda struts that I handed to them), they screwed it up. Junior didn't line up the strut mount with the marks I made on the strut.

They should be pressing out the bushing out and getting you a new one.

Dave

Black 535i
11-21-2009, 01:06 PM

edward
11-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I am in Ottawa.

Edward

whiskychaser
11-21-2009, 04:26 PM
They should be pressing out the bushing out and getting you a new one.
Dave
x1
If you can make them do it is perhaps another matter

bimmo_2007
11-21-2009, 05:59 PM
This bushing is notorious for failure even when it's installed correctly. So I doubt it will last too long this way. If I were you I'd ask them to redo it.

ArnZ!
11-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah sounds like these people are lazy. Please make them install the bushing, other people have problems even with correctly installed ones.

Black 535i
11-21-2009, 07:28 PM
...but I do not know any there.

Tiger
11-21-2009, 08:32 PM
A competent machine shop can press in the bushing as long they know the orientation. This also means that the thrust arm must be off the car for them to do so. If CT can't do this job right, they are not likely going to install it right either.

632 Regal
11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
+1

a competent machine shop can press in the bushing as long they know the orientation. This also means that the thrust arm must be off the car for them to do so. If ct can't do this job right, they are not likely going to install it right either.

edward
11-25-2009, 09:25 PM
thanks for all the input guys, I went back and got my money back and got out of there before I blew a head gasket. Maybe Santa will bring me a hydraulic press for Christmas.

Thanks again,

Edward

Triton540i
11-30-2009, 03:20 AM
I purchased a 20 ton shop press from Harbor Freight Tool for under $150 U.S., and it's more than paid for itself after replacing about 16-18 bushings on my Volvo 240 wagon (winter car). Using a shop press is totally easy and they could have used the same bushing with no problems. I would highly recommend buying a shop press if you're planning on doing some bushing projects in the future. If you don't need it anymore, then sell it on Craigslist for $100, that's smart money!

Glad to hear you were reimbursed the initial cost of installation of the bushing, I would steer clear of them in the future, who knows what they'll screw up next?! ;)

-Eric

bmwrp8
12-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey guys,

Just had Canadian Tire press in a new bushing in my brand new upper control
arm(thrust arm). They pressed it in crooked and its all cock eyed. They say they can't fix it and that an alignment will compensate for it.

I don't agree but there are no dealerships open here today to confirm this with. To me this seems pretty critical to keep caster, camber, and toe correct, and I know bloody well that there alignment just adjusts the toe.

Any input would be appreciated, I am just about ready to go postal!

Thanks,

Edward

Sorry don't mean to hijack I just need to voice out as im soo pissed. Just changed my thrust bushing last month to a 750i bushing now the right side (passenger side) is busted AGAIN after just a bit more than a month! @$%@#!

repenttokyo
12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
canadian tire is the single worst place to get any form of mechanical work done :(

philbyil
12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Did you tighten the bushings with a load in/on the car?
If you did NOT, this would cause your bushings to go TU.....

Sorry don't mean to hijack I just need to voice out as im soo pissed. Just changed my thrust bushing last month to a 750i bushing now the right side (passenger side) is busted AGAIN after just a bit more than a month! @$%@#!

Ross
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
They are wrong. There is no caster adjustment, had they ever worked on a BMW before they would know this.
Take your lumps and go somewhere that knows how to repair cars. *%$#@ tire stores!

bmwrp8
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Did you tighten the bushings with a load in/on the car?
If you did NOT, this would cause your bushings to go TU.....

wait, how would you install the arm with the bushing in the car when the car is not lifted

Jeff N.
12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
wait, how would you install the arm with the bushing in the car when the car is not lifted

More specifically....

You do the final torquing of the bushing bolts with the suspension loaded. You don't want to do the torquing with the suspension in full droop. If you torque the bushings when drooped, it locks the bushing orientation at the wrong angle leading to premature failure.

So, the proper order is...

- install on a lift
- slightly tighten while in the air
- drop car and load suspension
- do final tightening

It's just about impossible to torque the bolts correctly with the car on the ground. Really helpful if you have ramps or a drive on lift. You can do it while on the ground but there's very little room....

bmwrp8
12-03-2009, 01:03 PM
More specifically....

You do the final torquing of the bushing bolts with the suspension loaded. You don't want to do the torquing with the suspension in full droop. If you torque the bushings when drooped, it locks the bushing orientation at the wrong angle leading to premature failure.

So, the proper order is...

- install on a lift
- slightly tighten while in the air
- drop car and load suspension
- do final tightening

It's just about impossible to torque the bolts correctly with the car on the ground. Really helpful if you have ramps or a drive on lift. You can do it while on the ground but there's very little room....

hmm... that's going to be a challenge since my car sits really low. Thanks for the input guys:D These are the little things on why I love this forum so much:D