PDA

View Full Version : Mileage at GM 525i auto trany failure?

Russell
11-20-2009, 10:33 AM
What was the mileage when your GM based automatic transmission failed? Mine is a 95 525i with 177,000 miles and is just now starting to show some possible issues such as very light pendulum shift. Slight reverse delay if left for 3-4 days. Also seems strained a bit when taking off.

I have always changed the fluid and filter every 30,000 or so miles.

I am also interested in what symptoms you experienced as a reference

No conversion to manual here. If needed I will my Indy replace the transmission with a high quality rebuilt unit. No one locally here in Lexington, KY can repair/rebuild it.

Rick L
11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Doesn't '95 have lifetime trans fluid? LOL! I changed trans fluid @ 75k miles and currently @ 155k miles and do for another trans fluid change. No issues for far. Knock on wood... Maybe your car is low on trans fluid? Since there is no trans dipstick, you will need to add to some from the bottom to check...

What was the mileage when your GM based automatic transmission failed? Mine is a 95 525i with 177,000 miles and is just now starting to show some possible issues such as very light pendulum shift. Slight reverse delay if left for 3-4 days. Also seems strained a bit when taking off.

I have always changed the fluid and filter every 30,000 or so miles.

I am also interested in what symptoms you experienced as a reference

No conversion to manual here. If needed I will my Indy replace the transmission with a high quality rebuilt unit. No one locally here in Lexington, KY can repair/rebuild it.

Russell
11-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Perhaps because it it a 1/95 build. Perhaps later 95s did have lifetime fluid.

Mine used Dexron III now replaced by Dexron VI. It is due for a service so it may be a bit low.

ryan roopnarine
11-20-2009, 01:05 PM
anyone that knows how to rebuild an automatic transmission can rebuild your unit, it is relatively simple. it came in a number of more popular vehicles, including the isuzu trooper and rodeo. if you/your indy don't trust anyone around there, though, i guess that is a different story. if you've kept up on the maintenence like you said you have, and keep the level right, i doubt that you'd have to consider a rebuild before 200k. i'd provide a shop with a copy of the pendulum tsb and see what they would want for performing the repair.

Russell
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
anyone that knows how to rebuild an automatic transmission can rebuild your unit, it is relatively simple. it came in a number of more popular vehicles, including the isuzu trooper and rodeo. if you/your indy don't trust anyone around there, though, i guess that is a different story. if you've kept up on the maintenence like you said you have, and keep the level right, i doubt that you'd have to consider a rebuild before 200k. i'd provide a shop with a copy of the pendulum tsb and see what they would want for performing the repair.

I appreciate what you say about any shop rebuilding the trany. However, i hear over and over on various boards the the GM trany does not rebuild easily. Not sure where i saaw them at the moment. Good point regarding the pendulum tsb.

Ross
11-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Ryan is most certainly correct. The trans is essentially a TurboHydramatic 200 with another planetary gearset added up front for the fourth speed.
Once a domestic trans guy sees one he'll say "Oh yeah I know this one".
I always wondered about controlling that front planetary set to get a six speed box. I'm surprised it wasn't done.

Russell
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Unfortunatly, I have had three BMw independent shops state that there were no local shops that can reliably rebuild BMW transmissions.

Bill R.
11-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Good thing its a strassbourg gm transmission then instead of a bmw transmission.....Same trans is used in a number of cars including the isuzu rodeo.... Lots of shops can rebuild them with no problems

Unfortunatly, I have had three BMw independent shops state that there were no local shops that can reliably rebuild BMW transmissions.

mzarifkar
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
I have the same problems, (worse reverse though), looking at http://www.europeantransmissions.com/ to possibly buy a rebuilt unit from here
(no site affiliation)

Russell
11-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Good thing its a strassbourg gm transmission then instead of a bmw transmission.....Same trans is used in a number of cars including the isuzu rodeo.... Lots of shops can rebuild them with no problems

Bill, I am not confident any transmission shop in my area can rebuild the GM transmission. I have had 3 independent BMW repair shops state no one in their area can reliabily rebuild the GM trany. I am puzzled over the difference of opinion.

Mendozart
12-04-2009, 01:27 AM
My car has 221k miles and is finally ready for the tranny to be rebuilt. I have been told that there is an Aamco shop in Costa Mesa, CA that can be trusted, but I'm on the fence. I found Kirt Koeller's ph # and called him up, explained my symptoms, and he confirmed it needs to be rebuilt. Kirt used to only rebuild BMW trannys, but now rebuilds the GM trannys. So, more than likely I will have one of Kirt's rebuilds shipped to me.

rockin1978TA
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
My 89 535 has 207k on it. And seems to shift and run good. I bought a new filter from BMA, but am debating whether I should change the fluid, since I have know Idea when it was changed last, and I'm sure it's been a long time since the previous owner neglected a lot of maitanance. I heard that with a lot of miles in between changes, just to leave it alone or you will develop problems. If I do decide to change the fluid, what do you all recommend? I saw Castrol has a high milage DexronIII.

RobPatt
12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
if so, one for the rolodex.

I have the same problems, (worse reverse though), looking at http://www.europeantransmissions.com/ to possibly buy a rebuilt unit from here
(no site affiliation)