PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss in power/Check Engine- Help!

Rob Edwards
06-10-2004, 08:58 PM
The facts: '95 525iT, 104,000 miles, bone stock except for an EAT chip. I've kept up all maintenance except for changing the O2 sensor ('cause I'm O for 2 in getting it loosened....). Well, coming home tonight, I was coasting down a slight incline when the Check Engine light flipped on, and the car lost about 75% of its power. I was only 1/2 mile from home, so I dropped it into M1 and limped home. Idles like it's running on about 3 cylinders, with very hot puffs of exhaust. There was condensation/small puffs of steam coming out the exhaust, which caused me to panic, and I shut her off. Temp gauge is right in the middle, upper rad hose is at 185 (by IR), coolant and oil levels are fine and do not appear to be intermixed.
I pulled the codes via stomp test, it returns 1221. = O2 sensor #1. Is there some sort of limp home mode just for a bad O2 sensor? I don't ever recall hearing such a thing, but I (hope) it's possible. I will try to clear the codes and see what that does. Any BTDT advice would be appreciated!

-Rob (headed out to the driveway......)