PDA

View Full Version : Breather hose question

rockin1978TA
11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
My wife started the 535i Saturday morning leaving work. She heard a clunking sound as it started, the car was running ruff, but she decided to drive it home anyway, engine light came on and then stalling on her. I was at work so had to call a tow truck. Got home opened the hood, fixed it in 5 seconds. Found the "L" shaped plastic hose that connects the breather hose from the valve cover to throttle body sitting on top of the fuel rail.The hose to the valve cover was still connected. What would cause this to come off? Too much pressure in the valvetrain maybe?At first I thought sabotage, due to she just fired an employee, but you can't open the hood from the outside.

e34.535i.sport
11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Maybe the hose is old and has become loose? My 535i had a hose clamp on that pipe (poss P.O fitted it) and had no problems. :)

genphreak
11-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Maybe it farted (backfired) into the intake when she started it up. A leaky injector causes this, usually it starts happening on the hot days after the car has been standing but and is made more likely if it is still warm... other causes may exist too, sometimes they can get loose (and new hoses & intake rubbers help you save money on gas too)

rockin1978TA
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing with the backfire. I need to replace the intake gaskets. I've got a leak on #1 sealed with orannge permatex right now.