PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT question. Bought a 'new' winter beater and have a ball joint question

Dave M
11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
good day folks,

I've just purchased a new winter beater so I can continue to garage the e34. Its a 1993 acura Integra with only 140,000 km (~85,000 miles) and very little rust. Its had a minor fender bender (literally), so I need replace the corner marker and driving light and pound out the the pass. side fender. Along with that, I need to do brakes, 2 CV boots and replace both front coil springs (cracked). The steering wheel wobbles at low speeds, which I'd like to think is a warped rotor or worn tie rod (I'm replacing both).

Before dissasembling the front end I grabbed both front wheels and checked for play. Both felt solid horizontally and vertically. The rubber boots on the lower and upper ball joints look fine and I've packed a bit more grease into them. However, is there a way to test these while they're off the car, just to give me a bit more confidence? With the hub and upper control arm on the workbench, I can't manage to find play in the ball joints. Have I read somewhere that you can (gently) put these in a vise and check for play?

I know it may sound cheap, but I'm tying to be as frugal as possible. All these bits $add up$ and I'm not afraid to open it back up a couple of years ago when if need be.

Thanks for reading,

Dave

Oh, I payed $600 for the car.

bimmo_2007
11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Not sure if there's such an article here, but if I were you I'd check for play with a vise. I did checked the stablizer link ball joint yesterday and checked it off the car and the play showed pretty damn easy.