PDA

View Full Version : Rear subframe bushings.....plus more repairs.

aston_jag_tech
10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I was fearful of even thinking about replacing my rear subframe ironclad bushings. With the bushings corroded and rusty due to life in the midwest, I pulled myself together and took care of them myself.

I gathered tools to knock the job out which was easy baby! I do not know what the big deal is about these bad boys...

If anyone NEEDS them replaced let me know- Im located in Orange County, CA.

I also replaced the "dog bone" ball joints, rear shocks, rear shock mounts, bump stops, and isolator pads.

I should have my front end(Fenders, hood, nose panel, core support, hid lights) finished by next week. Ill post pics asap.

Enjoy the moments!

Jehu
10-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I have them and want them replaced.. I'm in NH . I'll head out now.. should be there in about a week..lol

aston_jag_tech
10-31-2009, 02:08 AM
Hahaha! Ill be sure to cut you a deal!

Russell
10-31-2009, 07:37 AM
I was fearful of even thinking about replacing my rear subframe ironclad bushings. With the bushings corroded and rusty due to life in the midwest, I pulled myself together and took care of them myself.

I gathered tools to knock the job out which was easy baby! I do not know what the big deal is about these bad boys...

If anyone NEEDS them replaced let me know- Im located in Orange County, CA.

I also replaced the "dog bone" ball joints, rear shocks, rear shock mounts, bump stops, and isolator pads.

I should have my front end(Fenders, hood, nose panel, core support, hid lights) finished by next week. Ill post pics asap.

Enjoy the moments!
Ok if subframe bushings are easy, I want to know how you did it. Everything I read states they are difficult. - Seriously, I want to know.

Scott C
10-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Honestly, taking them out wasn't so bad - used a sawzall and took literally 30 seconds WITH the right blade... WEAR SAFETY GLASSES - it is messy

Putting them in was also easy when you follow the instructions and put a 2x4 spacer above the subframe when before you push them back in ;)

Find my post to find out what happens when you can't read - like me ;)

I would definitely help someone if they have not done it before - it would save a lot of time.

Scott

whiskychaser
10-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Ok if subframe bushings are easy, I want to know how you did it. Everything I read states they are difficult. - Seriously, I want to know.
I wouldnt say they are difficult. Mine took me a couple of hours because I was being very careful not to cut into the subframe with the blade. Cleaned up the subframe bore with a fan grinder. New bushes had been in the freezer a couple of days and I applied a little Fairy Liquid when fitting. The spacer is important and you have to watch you dont squash the brake pipes.
Suggested tools: sawzall or jig saw, lump hammer, block of wood
Optional: large friend to act as balast

winfred
10-31-2009, 08:50 PM
with the sawzall method pay attention to the saw and you will notice it drag down when you get through the bushing as it will pinch the blade, but it doesn't last too long if you miss it

genphreak
11-01-2009, 05:45 AM
I have the subframe out diff and all. Am gonna to it in a press... will post once it is done. I hate working upside down ;)

Bo525i
11-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Using a sawzall on my bimmer scares me, so I had my welderbuddy make a copy of this one (pic1)
Worked like a treat, I didn´t use it for pressing (pic2)as I mounted powerflex´s

The howto in the link http://www.e30.de/fotost/f00959/f00959.htm is for E30´s but its easily converted to E34 measures, the distance inside the arms is 8 cm (3.1496063 inches) instead of 5.9

Bo525i
11-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Pressing part:

Scott C
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I have the subframe out diff and all. Am gonna to it in a press... will post once it is done. I hate working upside down ;)

Oh that is completely cheating ;)

aston_jag_tech
11-01-2009, 09:30 PM
BO525i said it all!! :)