PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with APA/URO brand parts?

ryan roopnarine
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I ask because I see this brand offered by rock auto for exceptionally good prices. The karlyn stuff seems to be by a legitimate us company/brand, but the apa/uro seems to have as much of a web presense as Hamburg Technik, which makes me leery. Thanks.

shogun
10-23-2009, 05:39 AM
apa/uro is the same company, looks like they do not produce, read the homepage about employing quality engineers in China, Brazil, Italy etc.
Registered apparently in USA
http://www.uroparts.com/en/

One of the many brands which buy somewhere and sell under their own brand.
Have no idea about the quality.

As you mention Hamburg Technic: I ordered for a friend from Deutsche Parts in USA from the Bay 2 engine mounts for a E32 750 Alpina B12 5.0.
I wanted to order them in Germany from my BMW dealer, but he asked me to buy the cheapest ones, so I ordered there. Today the parts arrived at my home, guess who the maker is :p

Well, we will see how they work.

ryan roopnarine
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
As you mention Hamburg Technic: I ordered for a friend from Deutsche Parts in USA from the Bay 2 engine mounts for a E32 750 Alpina B12 5.0.
I wanted to order them in Germany from my BMW dealer, but he asked me to buy the cheapest ones, so I ordered there. Today the parts arrived at my home, guess who the maker is :p

Well, we will see how they work.

thanks for the info. there was never any dispute that the hamburg technik parts were made by major manufacturers, it was just that the brand is used to distribute factory seconds and defectives (allegedly).

WarrenBrown
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I had a set of Uro parts front upper strut mounts. A visual examination of the part showed it to be not up to OEM standards. The rubber appeared to be flaking like a soft eraser. The bearings seemed to be notchy, perhaps from the flaking rubber. I ended up returning the parts and reinstalling the originals with 180K.

I wouldn't try another Uro part even if it were that last choice.

Warren
88 325iX
91 318iS
95 525iT

Tiger
11-15-2009, 01:01 PM
All of the brands you mentioned are cheap prices and the build quality is just as questionable. I'd avoid them all. I did buy some Karlyn and Hamburg Technik... all not so good.

Mr._Graybeard
11-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I installed some Karlyn sway bar links when I changed out the struts at 129K. This spring, about 30K later, I noticed that all four of the rubber boots had split. They still seem tight, but I've got some Lemfoerder replacements ready for when they inevitably fail.

rockin1978TA
11-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I just bought and installed a driveshaft center bearing from BMA , made by URO. So far so good.:)