PDA

View Full Version : 225/60/15 vs. 205/65/15?

bubba966
10-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Need to put new rubber on a '95 525iT. It's had 225/60/15's on it. But the selection of tires in that size is virtually non-existent anymore.

How much different is running the 205/65/15 size vs. 225/60/15's?

Thinking of putting Pilot Exalto's on it. It has BFG Traction T/A's on it now which were nice tires. But they no longer make 'em in that size. Would probably go with the BFG Advantage T/A's but the PE's are on sale at the moment which puts them at virtually the same price as the BFG's and I've heard the PE's are very nice tires.

This car doesn't get cornered hard (it's a DD munchkin wagon now) so I'm thinking that going to narrower tires won't be detrimental. In fact it might be a good thing as far as hydroplaning & snow traction are concerned.

But it'd still be nice to know what the differences are from someone that's had both sizes on their E34...

Jr ///M5
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
A quick look at the Tire Rack shows 3 choices in 205-65-15, which is a narrower tire. I've used all three of them.

First, the Bridgestone Potenza 930 is an excellent choice especially for $66 each, compared to the General Altimax HP, for $65. I chose the General for my daughter's '95 wagon because of 3 reasons. They were the lightest of the tires, 7 pounds lighter than the Bridgestone and 2 pounds lighter than the Exhaulto. There was a significant price difference between the Michelin and the General, the Michelin was $104 vs. $64 for the General. Performance indicators from the Tire Rack were very close, so there wasn't any measurable difference there.
We've had Exhaltos on the daughter's MB and the wife's E39, the tires were flawless, plus the fact that my wife racked up over 60k miles on the E39. We've had the Bridgestone Potenza 930's on the E60 now for over a year and 35k miles, they have performed well with no dissapointments, they will need replacing within the next 10k miles.
Since Michelin is now offering a $70 rebate on 4 of their tires, it makes them the number one choice, then the General and finally the Bridgestone.
If you need to save a little money, then go with the Generals, you won't be dissappointed, and their ratings are as good as the others. They didn't offer the rebate for the Michelins when I was in the market, and the Bridgestone wasn't available then either. I went with the narrower tire to give a little more light snow capability.
With the rebate, the Michelins are still $70 higher, that would pay for a mount and balance if one of the other two were chosen. Plus the fact that you have to consider what kind of car they are going to be placed on. Hence, my vote for the Generals. They do look a little narrow at first and take a little getting used to. But as you pointed out, tire types are limited in 225/60/15 sizes.

Hope this helps Bubba...
JR

Ross
10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Had B-stone 225/60 G009s on my touring that I was satisfied with. Not sure if they are still made.
The 215/65 is also a recommended size. The taller sidewall will give a bit better ride and bit softer turn in as well. I have a snow set this size if you want.
EDIT No dice on the G009s. I see there is a Conti in 225, we have that one on the wifes E39 and are pleased with them. I think this was the OE tire, close anyway.

bimmo_2007
10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I changed mine about year ago from 205/65/15 to 225/60/15, I noticed improvements in braking, handling and felt even smoother on bumps. So if I were you I'd stick to the 225.

ss2115
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Need to put new rubber on a '95 525iT. It's had 225/60/15's on it. But the selection of tires in that size is virtually non-existent anymore.

How much different is running the 205/65/15 size vs. 225/60/15's?

Thinking of putting Pilot Exalto's on it. It has BFG Traction T/A's on it now which were nice tires. But they no longer make 'em in that size. Would probably go with the BFG Advantage T/A's but the PE's are on sale at the moment which puts them at virtually the same price as the BFG's and I've heard the PE's are very nice tires.

This car doesn't get cornered hard (it's a DD munchkin wagon now) so I'm thinking that going to narrower tires won't be detrimental. In fact it might be a good thing as far as hydroplaning & snow traction are concerned.

But it'd still be nice to know what the differences are from someone that's had both sizes on their E34...

Hi. I've had similar changes on both a BMW 525I Touring and also a C-class 200K/W203 Merc wagon but on European brand tyres.
I can only speak generally, but the 205's will give you a slightly nicer ride (which you will feel), there will be a minor deterioration in turn in but unless your pushing along hard you won't notice it, the braking in the dry won't be quite as good in a hard or panic stop but otherwise you won't notice the difference (because the ABS will cut in sooner as the lesser contact patch will lock the wheels sooner than with a wider contact patch) and the wet driving performance will often be improved but this is also dependent on the quality of the tyre and its tread pattern and so is not a forgone conclusion.

The 225 will give you better braking in a panick stop for sure, it will turn in better (usually) when pushing along, will be a slightly firmer ride which most people can definetly feel, and unless it was a super hi-quality tyre with a terrific tread pattern it won't be as good in the wet.

genphreak
10-21-2009, 05:00 AM
I'd get 225s to protect the rims... gutter rash is filth.
But narrower tyres are easier to drive.

Since I like cornering hard every now and then, I'd buy the phat ones... but would suggest the Michelins, their road tyres stick very well in all non-freezing weathers.

philbyil
10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Went with the Yokohama Avid H4S's. I got them from Discount Tire.
I do like to run thru the twisties and over the past 5000 miles, this tyre has proven itself to me!
It is quiet (chip and seal roads here in TX), gives a pleasant ride with good initial turn in and great feedback. Very good in the wet.
I run it at 35psi front and rear and the car handles neutral to oversteer, which is how I like it :) !