whiskychaser
10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Couple of weeks ago my car failed on:
Front spring broken
Front o/s tyre not same as other 3
N/s headlight too low
O/s handbreak not holding
Both rear jacking points need welding
OK I need a holiday like anybody else. So I did the work and had one. Put the car in for the sills to be welded (about a 3" square patch) and re-MOT today.
Garage rang me to advise it failed test again:
Rear spring broken
Front brake hoses u/s
Exhaust back box has a hole in it
N/s headlight too high
The front jacking points really need attention but not part of MOT so let it go
Yeah I know I might have adjusted the headlight too high after putting two new springs on the front. I am at a loss to understand how the rest happened in driving 4 miles. Thats all its done from the test station and back.
I'm thinking of beating it a la Basil Fawlty or parting it out at the moment. :(

Ferret
10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Couple of weeks ago my car failed on:
Front spring broken
Front o/s tyre not same as other 3
N/s headlight too low
O/s handbreak not holding
Both rear jacking points need welding
OK I need a holiday like anybody else. So I did the work and had one. Put the car in for the sills to be welded (about a 3" square patch) and re-MOT today.
Garage rang me to advise it failed test again:
Rear spring broken
Front brake hoses u/s
Exhaust back box has a hole in it
N/s headlight too high
The front jacking points really need attention but not part of MOT so let it go
Yeah I know I might have adjusted the headlight too high after putting two new springs on the front. I am at a loss to understand how the rest happened in driving 4 miles. Thats all its done from the test station and back.
I'm thinking of beating it a la Basil Fawlty or parting it out at the moment. :(

Er? On a retest surely they're only supposed to be checking the bits that failed the last time?

I thought they werent allowed to go after anything else other than emissions again?

*hands over a tree branch*

whiskychaser
10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Er? On a retest surely they're only supposed to be checking the bits that failed the last time?

I thought they werent allowed to go after anything else other than emissions again?

*hands over a tree branch*
Its over ten days so its a full re-test. But how tf you can blow an exhaust, 2 brake hoses and break a spring in 4 miles is beyond me. Of course they ring you at 1645 and say they shut at 1700 and would you like to pick your car up? So my own investigations will begin tomorrow. On a positive note, I dont have a cat and the last MOT at the same place backs it up. So I think my emissions could be those of bus and I'd still get await with it. I'm not sure if the branch should be used on the car or the MOT tester

e34.535i.sport
10-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Not a bad point that... ???

e34.535i.sport
10-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Its over ten days so its a full re-test...

...I'm not sure if the branch should be used on the car or the MOT tester

Barsteward... Definately the tester!

Ross
10-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Have you tried;

whiskychaser
10-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Have you tried;
No Ross I havent tried that:) TBH I dont care if the MOT station comes out with a shopping list. I will put it right as its my life and my family's at stake. What gets me is how they can say you have 4 faults but when you correct them it turns into 8 but you only drove the car home and back to the test station. And as I put both springs (and a drop link they didnt even spot) on the front before re-submitting I know I didnt miss a leaking brake hose or one that had ballooned. I'm seriously thinking of throwing it at the ministry themselves to find out whats going on

whiskychaser
10-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Collected car this morning. Seriously not impressed that they parked it on a public road with no MOT and no tax. Oh, and they had added that I need new rear discs to the list. So, new discs/pads/springs/hoses are ordered and will be collected tomorrow a.m. Now to find a back box that doesnt cost £200.....:(

Ross
10-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Perhaps you could bribe them to do a THOROUGH inspection the first time around.

genphreak
10-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Broken springs? HTF does that happen... I've never seen one broken, ever, and you've had two... (?) Are these guys on drugs or something, or is it just me... LOL!

Do springs rust through in the UK or something... (?)

SnakeyesTx
10-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Good god, MOT's are seriously anal aren't they? With testing that thorough, you'd assume buying a 2nd-hand car there would be a great bargain since most of the parts had to be replaced just to pass!

Down here in Texas they just drive your car 1 city block, turn around, and shove an emissions tester in the tail pipe. If your car is over 25 years old, they just drive it around the block, honk the horn, flash the lights and put on a sticker for the equilivant cost of about 8 pounds. :D

whiskychaser
10-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Full price MOT here is about £50. Unfortunately not all garages are as 'careful' so having a valid one doesnt mean its not a death trap. My cause for complaint is they didnt give me a full list first time round. But another tester looked at it second time. As for breaking springs, I have never had one break either. Yeah they get a bit rusty but they both broke at the end of the first coil. I'm thinking a PO was less than generous when he fitted springs

whiskychaser
11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Got it through the MOT today! Even went to the post office to tax it. Just hoping that doesnt trigger an £80 fine for not declaring it SORN since end of August. Some good news though-welding only cost £30 which is incredible. And I picked up a used rear exhaust section (Eberspacher)for only £25. Ride is great and it sounds good too. And there was me thinking of putting her down..:D

e34.535i.sport
11-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Got it through the MOT today! Even went to the post office to tax it. Just hoping that doesnt trigger an £80 fine for not declaring it SORN since end of August. Some good news though-welding only cost £30 which is incredible. And I picked up a used rear exhaust section (Eberspacher)for only £25. Ride is great and it sounds good too. And there was me thinking of putting her down..:D

Made up you got it through, you've invested a lot of time into the old girl so you had to keep her alive! :D