PDA

View Full Version : 535 Suspension Noise

hdaemon
06-10-2004, 02:46 PM
So with the weather now warm enough here in Boston to be driving around with the windows open, I've been noticing an odd noise(s) that seems to be coming from the front suspension of my 1990 535i.

Whenever I go over a decent sized abnormality in the road, my front suspension squeeks. It's a very quick noise, and sounds almost like a quick squeek followed immediately by another. Driving with both front windows open, it seems to be coming from both front wheels (just depends on which one drives over the disturbance). I can only manage to get the sound to occur when driving, and it only happens if the bump is larger enough (sorry for the poor descriptions). I haven't been able to duplicate the noise when stopped, I think because I am unable to apply the force fast enough.

The other noise I heard occasionally seems to be almost a rubbing sound coming from the left front wheel. ALways where turning right, never when turning left. This seems much more intermittant than the other, so I occasionally wonder if I'm beginning to imagine things. The tires are 225/55R16, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

As far as the suspension goes though. I have had the car for about 9 months now. When i first got it, the front tie rods were frozen, and I ended up replacing the majority of the front steering components. The lower control arms, center link, and tie rods were all replaced. At some point the PO had the thrust arm bushing replaced with 750i ones, although I have no idea how long ago it was.

Any suggestions as to where to look first? I won't have access to the underside of the car until the weekend of the 4th (no garage here), but can do just about anything then.

Mr Project
06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Sway bar links. Check those first.