PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen I am in Need Of Help ASAP!!!!! =(

BMW4LIFE
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM
So now that the beast has broke the 200G Mile barrier it has started to show signs of some wear... =/

Here is my problem...i drive to santa barbara twice a week and when i was coming back home tonight, in the rain remind you, the car was driving like a champ (or i thought)

I took the exit for my house, but due to the massive amounts of rain there was a collection of water (about 4 inches deep or so...nice spray show) that i could not avoid...i drove though it being careful not to hydroplane.

When i started pulling into my street i turned down the music but noticed another kind of noise....everytime i would turn left AND accelerate i would notice that there seems to be a weird noise...it sounded like my muffler had fallen off and there was some sort of rubbing noice...so i went around the block and noticed that the car would only do it when the car is going less that 20 MPH and turning left under acceleration.....I am baffled...i have no idea what it could be

At first i thought something was stuck....didnt see anything
then i thought i broke something...but couldnt see clearly so i am going to jack the car up tomorrow
then i though it could be the CV joint but i recalled that that produces a clicking noise....which mine does not

I am clueless but at the same time i really need your help because i have to make my drive again on thursday

thank you in advance!!

ScottyWM
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Turn the radio up and wait for 300k miles?

BMW4LIFE
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Turn the radio up and wait for 300k miles?

HA!

so i did some more inspecting and i think it might be the exhaust...

not too sure here but i noticed that when i turned the steerign wheel left the rattle and humming sound started so i looked under my car and saw the heat shield all bent and the exhaust rattling...

is that the problem or is that normal...minus the heat shield being bent

Tiger
10-14-2009, 07:26 PM
You probalby just need new muffler hanger... the rubber things.

BMW4LIFE
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
You probalby just need new muffler hanger... the rubber things.

hmmmm

so i thought that they were the problem as well...and in a sense they were as one of them (passanger side) was broken but after i replaced it i noticed that under acceleration the loud exhaust noise is there while turning left.

i am sooo baffled right now

any ideas?

Interceptor
10-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Where does the noise come from? The front or the rear? Wheel bearings tend to make funny noises at low speeds when cornering.

BMW4LIFE
10-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Where does the noise come from? The front or the rear? Wheel bearings tend to make funny noises at low speeds when cornering.

the noise comes from the middle to the rear bottom of the passanger side of the car....

its weird...i cant really describe the sound but its like a humming, rubbing, louders, deeper exhaust noise.

at first i thought because the exhaust bushing was broken, the inertia of the exhaust being pulled the opposite of the car in the turn was rubbing onto something but now that both bushings are on and in good condition i dont see that as a form of explaination...

my other thought was a hole in the exhaust, but then again why does it only make this noise at low speed accelerations in only left hand turns...

i am boggled! hahaha

I hope its not the bearing cause i hear that they are expensive =(

632 Regal
10-20-2009, 03:17 AM
somewhere the exhaust is rubbing, case closed. sorry but late here had the same deal. Inspect the whole routing from front to back, you will see where.

BMW4LIFE
10-20-2009, 02:40 PM
somewhere the exhaust is rubbing, case closed. sorry but late here had the same deal. Inspect the whole routing from front to back, you will see where.

do you think that a weld has broken?

again if you recall i ran through a large pool of water at about 60 mph...does that have enough force to break a weld?

thanks regal youve always been great deals of help for not only myself but everyone else

and thanks to everyone else who chimed in and helped!:)

Jehu
10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Get it up on a lift and look around..

bsell
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
do you think that a weld has broken?

again if you recall i ran through a large pool of water at about 60 mph...does that have enough force to break a weld?

thanks regal youve always been great deals of help for not only myself but everyone else

and thanks to everyone else who chimed in and helped!:)

Cold water on hot pipes makes them shrink quickly. I've seen double walled pipe rattle due to your puddle incident. The outer wall shrinks so fast that it collapses the inner pipe just enough that the next time you start the car, rattle mania starts.

So yes, I think your puddle did a number on your exhaust. I figure it got cold fast on one side and bent the system into the body of the car or something else. A trip on a lift will tell you all you need to know.

Brian

tim eh?
10-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Well I kinda had this happen maybe...

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41985

I didn't fix it 'cause I didn't break it but i guess you just bend it back... ?

Just towards the front of the resonator is where it happened to me.