PDA

View Full Version : OT: replacing r134a low side valve

ryan roopnarine
10-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Anyone ever done this before? Do I need any type of special wrench to get the old valve off? The backstory is...

car is a 1999 ford taurus, so this isn't a retrofit valve. I attempted to check the system pressure on saturday, and when I took the gauge off, i noticed that the valve was hissing. several attempts were made to get the valve to reseal, including attaching/disconnecting the gauge connector several times, as well as a poking with a screwdriver. After checking out the internet to see about a replacement drier, i noticed that the low-side valve was attached to the drier by means of a pipe. are the r134 fittings standardized to be removed?

dumb question, but is the lowside valve something that can even be replaced? i know that when you retrofit, you do, but this valve does not look like it comes off, unless that slight rounded off nut feeling i'm feeling around it is for a wrench.

thanks in advance.

Ferret
10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I thought these valves have cores like bike/car tyre valves?

Iirc, turning the core can start a leak as it starts to become unscrewed?

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Schrader valve tool should be able to do the job

ryan roopnarine
10-14-2009, 05:00 AM
the problem, gentlemen, is i don't see where there is even an accessible valve in there. i think some domestics have a oversized valve that you can't pick up at the store. looking down into the hole, all i see is a flat metal circle with a gap beside it. i don't see how you would even get a schrader-style valve tool inside of there.