PDA

View Full Version : OT: marijuana laws in ontario

ryan roopnarine
10-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Long story short, would like to know the legality of minors smoking marijuana in your fine province. From what I see, the "supreme court" of ontario (using it in the US sense) has already said things to the effect that it no one would be arrested for using it, but that the law regarding prohibition has not been removed from the Canadian "criminal codes" (again, US colloquialism). Me, I don't touch the stuff (though a lot of people say that I would be much happier if I did...). I would have assumed that there would be some type of age restriction on the stuff if there is the 18 YO requirement on tobacco, but am not well versed enough in Canadian Jurisprudence to be able to figure this out on my own. Thanks.

whiskychaser
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Cant of course speak for Ontario as I'm in the UK. But here its a class C 'drug' (class A being the 'worst'). If they apply the same logic then an age limit doesnt apply as its a prohibited substance whatever age. Strangely, giving a child of 5 alcohol in the home is not illegal here though I certainly didnt give it to my kids. Have you got anything like the Citizens Advice Bureau you could ask? Or maybe a solicitor?

ryan roopnarine
10-13-2009, 05:03 AM
It is just a curiosity of my, whisky. My being in the united states kinda precludes me from getting solid information on the subject from anyone. I doubt that even a lawyer here could tell me anything with certainty.

tim eh?
10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I believe it is still illegal for anyone to smoke unless they have medical papers. Toleration varies I guess from province to province but I think generally a lot depends on the behaviour and discretion of the individual. I don't know the actual laws - Here is a summary of the (federal) Senate Comittee report.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/commbus/senate/com-e/ille-e/rep-e/summary-e.htm