PDA

View Full Version : Heater core finally done after 8 months without it!

Black 535i
10-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Well I finally got around to something I have thought of doing all summer long. The dreaded heater core! Now that there is a forecast of snow and cold this weekend in Chicago I got off my butt and did the deed. Let me tell you one thing first. Everyone says that it takes about 12 hours to do the work. I disagree or maybe I just had some good luck and no beer that day! Disassembly of the center vents and console, all lower dash trim pieces, shifter surround, glovebox, heater controls, radio, computer and core housing took 2.5 hours. I was actually surprised at this time after reading some write-ups here and online.

Next I took the car over to my mechanic who did the actual removal of the old core and install of the new one. Glad I did this as it took some fussing removing the old one. Turns out the old core was leaking at the top between the plastic and core itself and not the o-rings! There is a brace that goes across from the center tranny hump to the driver’s side that should be removed but we encountered and issue. Whoever in Germany assembled this vehicle decided to use 6 mm allen head screws to fasten this bar over the steering wheel rather than the usual 15 mm bolts I have seen on all other cars of this sort. We almost stripped the heads out trying to remove them so we gave up on this idea. After this we decided to remove the pre-installed pipes on the new heater core and fish them through alone and then re-assemble after getting the core in place. Much easier that way and less to take apart. All this took an hour or so at the shop.

Back to home and do the re-assemble of all the parts. I took many, many photos of the work involved and still ended up with extra screws and bolts. All works fine and is structurally sound so I will just hold onto the extra stuff. Re-assembly took about 2.5 hours as well including changing of some hard to relocate bulbs in the heater controls. I now have a complete car that works mechanically and am proud to drive. Last fix will be the headliner repair next month. Will let you know how that goes as well.

If anyone wants help in the Chicago area with this repair I would be glad to offer assistance and tips now that I have been through it myself. It really is not as daunting as it appears. I also have photos available for anyone who wants to see what he process is of getting to the actual heater core. Looks scary but it is not. Can all be done in one day including a trip to your local mechanic to do the install but even that you could do at home if wanted.

Good luck to all who try this.

stx133
10-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Congratulations on your sucessful DIY. with a bit of time, perserverence and a supportive mechanic that will do part of the work, much can be achieved.