PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone converted to a moonroof??

Golgade
10-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Hello,
I couldnt really find any information about this in the arcives, but maybe I wasnt looking hard enough. My sunroof is getting all oxidized and I could just put a glass panel in there instead, I would imagine this wouldnt be a simple swap out. Did any E34s come with moonroofs? Does anyone know if there are any compatible models?

repenttokyo
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I would think that painting an oxidized steel panel would be far easier and cheaper than replacing it with a custom glass panel.

Dash01
10-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello,
I couldnt really find any information about this in the arcives, but maybe I wasnt looking hard enough. My sunroof is getting all oxidized and I could just put a glass panel in there instead, I would imagine this wouldnt be a simple swap out. Did any E34s come with moonroofs? Does anyone know if there are any compatible models?

I've thought about that. Don't know if later 5- or other series BMWs have moonroofs that might fit. Perhaps you could use the original steel panel as a template for acrylic or polycarbonate sheet. Put the plastic sheet on top of the steel panel, with a greased felt cloth between. Stick the stack into a pizza oven at about 300 degrees, and the plastic will slump and take the shape of the steel panel. Trim the edge with a router. Now, you have a plastic sheet with the shape and contour of the stock steel panel. Gotta add hinge and track hardware and trim.

yaofeng
10-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I sold a 1994 SAAB 9000 moon roof panel to a E28 owner a few years ago. It is a known fact the 9000 moon roof fits the sun roof opening. But I don't know any moon roof fits an E34.

Ross
10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
As yaofeng says E28s can use a Saab glass panel that sort of fits. I think there is an uber-rare factory glass E34 piece but good luck finding one.
If yours is rusting through PM me, I have a complete sunroof taking up lots of space that I can't manage to sell. I'll seperate the panel and will get it to you for little $.

shogun
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
take the one from Ross, easiest and cheapest. I would not start using an angle grinder to cut the roof to fit another kind of sunroof, just makes more probs with rust for the future.

bubba966
10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I think there is an uber-rare factory glass E34 piece but good luck finding one.

I do believe that this is correct. Early E34's had an option for a glass sunroof/moonroof. But it was very rare. When they do actually pop up they go for big $.

Grab the one Ross has sitting around if yours isn't easily re-paintable. Or grab the one from Ross and use it as a template to find or make a glass piece that'd work.

Golgade
10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Well Thanks for all replys. My sunroof isnt really that bad, its really just the clear coat. I just thought it would be worth it more to get a moonroof, but it seems i am going to be better off with a respray!